Why Do You Make Short Films?

I was wondering about all the different filmmakers opinions on this question, why do you make short films?

Funding is a pain, they aren't easy to do, and there are always reliability issues. There is also no profit in it.

So what is your personal reason for making short films, and what do you feel you have to gain? :)

Well I only write to a budget so that's not a problem, I think for me it's short, fun and a chance to showcase skill without having to worry about long peices of drama all being connected together

Because I am a masochistic, self-flagellating lunatic who enjoys pain. I particularly enjoy an activity which involves people telling me they cannot turn up at the last minute, people who don't do what they say they will do, kit that doesn't do what it's supposed to do and above all dealing with my mates and girlfriend who think I am insane.

And cos I like it.

To practice & for learning.

Practice organization.
Practice framing shots.
Practice editing.
Then listen to to how others feeeeel about what I've done.
Am I getting hit on technicals or on story?

Because I have a story to tell. And, I like to meet new people.

We all need reality checks because, as others pointed out, the reliability of available help makes it mental to keep on shooting after the reality of all the pain we go through.

There's really two schools of thought on this.

One school of thought says that making shorts is your lifeblood to practicing and honing your craft. It's easier prepare, easier to get a team together for a day/few days to shoot something short (especially on a volunteer basis), and post production than it is to get volunteers for a 10 to 30 day (or more) to shoot a full feature.

The other school of thought (though much less common) is why spend even a dollar on something you will never, ever have any realistic expectation to recoup expenses, let alone make a profit. This school says, make a movie. Learn along the way and you never know, once you finish, there is a chance that you have a product that you can sell to a distributor, perhaps even solidly launch your career. If you're making a product that you can sell, this also opens the world of investors to you, which won't happen with shorts.

Going through the process of finance and distribution, you're learning the business side of the movie business. It's a very important, often ignored part.

Shooting shorts is more appealing these days than it has for a long time due to Youtube. There are people out there making a living shooting short videos, garnering a large following and taking their share of advertising revenue. Creating one or two off shorts isn't going to make this work, you'll need a plan for constant content to keep your following interested.

Because it's a very special way of tell a story. And I don't think that it's a way to "practice" for a feature film. The short have its own life. The feature is the novel in the literature, and the short is the "tale". Two absolutely different kind of scripts. Someone can do a great work in a feature, but a very poor job with a short, just if don't understand the language of each structure.

I'm still working on my first short of my own, but I already worked on other projects. Yes I think in the future I want to work with long features, but I will never stop working on short movies. I appreciate the beautiful soul inside this kind of tale.

Sweetie summed it up pretty well.

I have a day job.
I have no interest in shooting every weekend for 3 or 4 months, with all the logistical nightmares and additional expense that comes from shooting that way. If I do a feature I want to do it in a straight 14 to 20 day shoot with no breaks. For me to be able to justify doing that (taking 2 or 3 weeks off work for principal photography) The budget needs to be in the $500K plus range and I need to be able to pay myself. Maybe I'll get "discovered" and make something like that possible, but if not I'll probably never make anything but shorts.

Because I enjoy the art of visual storytelling, but in a medium that incorporates them all, movin vision, sound/music, talent of actors etc.

And the satisfaction of seeing all your work playing epicly on screen

To practice & for learning.

Practice organization.
Practice framing shots.
Practice editing.
Then listen to to how others feeeeel about what I've done.
Am I getting hit on technicals or on story?

This... Plus FOR FUN!! IF I didn't enjoy messing with scripts, lights, camera, actors, editing, grading (etc on and on ) then I wouldn't do it!!

Certainly don't do it for the money!!! :)

Currently, mine is that it's a safer way to hone our crafts while working toward larger endeavors. Our whole group has day jobs and a weekend or 2 is much easier to schedule until we get to the point where we can secure funding to pay them all to take a leave from work for 2-3 weeks to do nothing but shoot a script.

Back