Using footage without permission?

So I mentioned somewhere before that Im working on my first short film .

I found an unbelievable stock footage that I might steal and use without any permission .

The film im making is for school project as Im working on a scolorship program.

I tryed to contact the owner but I think they are no longer using their youtube accaunt .

What is going to happend if I just use the footage and give credit ? I'm only 16 years old I don't think they'll spend the time to do something about it ? It is just for a scolorship program and I dont believe there would be more than 500 viewers on youtube .

What is your opinion on that?What can they do to me ?

What kind of footage, perhaps we can find you some stuff that is copy left creative commons type of stuff that is similar.

Archive.org and the prelinger archives are definately your friend here... you can find tons of stuff to use freely that people are offering out of a sense of creative community (and copyright laws with time limitations moving older stuff into the public use space).

So I mentioned somewhere before that Im working on my first short film .

I found an unbelievable stock footage that I might steal and use without any permission .

The film im making is for school project as Im working on a scolorship program.

I tryed to contact the owner but I think they are no longer using their youtube accaunt .

What is going to happend if I just use the footage and give credit ? I'm only 16 years old I don't think they'll spend the time to do something about it ? It is just for a scolorship program and I dont believe there would be more than 500 viewers on youtube .

What is your opinion on that?What can they do to me ?

If the people granting the scholarship find out you used someone else work they can revoke the scholarship offer. That is plagiarism. And it shows a lot about your character which the school will look at as well.

Yes I know and i feel bad about it and I would feel pretty bad if someone stole something from me but really this is a footage from a huge company and I see people using copyrighted soundtracks and footage and sound effects and basically everything without any permission so as I see that this particular video fits so well to my short I thought that I could try ' cheat' as well .

Have a friend/parent drive next to a train and get a shot out of the back seat window of the car of a train travelling -- possibly gathering it entering and leaving shot, ahead of the train at a decent 45ish angle, trailing behind it, etc... It's not an aerial shot, but it'll get the point across in a shot you gathered yourself.

You know what, this struggle you're having is what every filmmaker goes through in some way. Everyone has wanted something that they can't afford or can't get the rights to (music. happens all the time).

You have options:
a) Think beyond that shot you like. Figure out a way to capture that experience in a new or different way.
b) There is other footage out there that may fit your budget (as in, free). Check out some of the places offered in the thread.

What sets you apart as a good filmmaker is the ability to adapt to your budget. You're going to have to do that forever. Show people you're good at it!!

Back