Want to shoot on 35mm film for under $100?

Seen better options on Iphones....Also ther is a 35 mm adapter for Iphones for the same amount of mony.

What on earth are you on about?

Looks like great fun, I've really enjoyed shooting with my Diana F+ - not exactly my first choice for every photo, but for unpredictable lo-fi imagery it really can't be beat.

What on earth are you on about?

Looks like great fun, I've really enjoyed shooting with my Diana F+ - not exactly my first choice for every photo, but for unpredictable lo-fi imagery it really can't be beat.

Ive heard abt those. Adapter so you can attach lenses to your iphone.

I think ppl are thinking too much of megapixels and lenses now and not enough abt the sensor. But atleast its a step in the right direction instead thinking of nothing at all.

I love the look, hate the frame rate. Why not just make it manual crank, over crank, under crank.. etc.. I guess its the length of 35mm film roll right?

I total get the chaotic nature, and the "shoot and see what you get" appeal, but for me a Digital Harinezumi is much more practical.

Ive heard abt those. Adapter so you can attach lenses to your iphone.

Oh, I realise what he's referring to, he just seems to leave technically nonsensical replies to every thread.

I love the look, hate the frame rate. Why not just make it manual crank, over crank, under crank.. etc.. I guess its the length of 35mm film roll right?

I total get the chaotic nature, and the "shoot and see what you get" appeal, but for me a Digital Harinezumi is much more practical.

It is manual crank, I think it said somewhere you can reach 3-5 fps at max speed. It's shooting two perforations per frame (FF stills is eight perf, motion picture 35mm is usually four perf), so even shooting at 12FPS would mean you could only get 12 seconds of footage per roll.

if it could get up to 24fps i might pick one of these up, even if that means one roll of film would only get me 6 seconds. 6 seconds would be enough per shot for some small projects.

There's no way I'd pay (or not pay) to see a feature length film at that frame-rate.

Not to worry, you won't know the frame rate until after you've paid for your ticket. :lol:

(You know, its comments like these that challenges me. I've already an idea how to migrate the frame-rate issue and a story that would be enhanced by the format's shortcomings.)

Is the film developed as you would a normal roll of 35mm film? What do you get back? Would you need the projector to do your own telecine?

On a side note, I realized last month that none of the drugstores in town even accept 35mm film anymore...I have to mail it for processing or process it myself.

I've been comparing film to our current digital craze and the thing that can't be overlooked is the dynamic range of film. It's outstanding.

That gap is rapidly closing. High-end video cameras get get pretty close and there are already a few prototype HDR video cameras that far exceed what film is capable of.

On the lower end of things, a 5D running the CineStyle profile gets you a tremendous amount of latitude. It's not film, but it's no slouch either.

Check out "Hunter Prey". It's a low-budget sci-fi film that is mediocre from a story standpoint but the image quality is incredible. It's shot out in direct sunlight in a desert and when I saw it I couldn't figure out how they got that kind of latitude. Turns out, it was shot on some manner of RED camera.

That gap is rapidly closing. High-end video cameras get get pretty close and there are already a few prototype HDR video cameras that far exceed what film is capable of.

On the lower end of things, a 5D running the CineStyle profile gets you a tremendous amount of latitude. It's not film, but it's no slouch either.

Check out "Hunter Prey". It's a low-budget sci-fi film that is mediocre from a story standpoint but the image quality is incredible. It's shot out in direct sunlight in a desert and when I saw it I couldn't figure out how they got that kind of latitude. Turns out, it was shot on some manner of RED camera.

Cool! I shall. Thanks.

In this particular case, an iPhone might be sharper haha. This camera has a pretty cheap, low resolution, fixes lens. Even though film has way more potential, if you record crap in it...

I was thinking about the development question. I bet the easiest thing to do is get it developed with the "photo cd" option. The one where they scan all your stills for you. Then, import as an image sequence to your edit software.

I still want to play with one of these, but when I have $80 to blow you know.

I found this article to be very interesting. Im not interested in what it is trying to sell me but the fact that it mentions Sergei Eisenstein is very peculiar. He is one of my all time favorite filmmakers and i've never seen his name pop up in an article like that. His name seems very out of place. Talking about a Russian silent film maker i would've thought they would pick D.W. Griffith or Charlie Chaplin before Eisenstein...Never the less nothing really compares to shooting on film. You can try to emulate it and make it work but it'll never workout as great as actually getting a 16mm or 35mm film camera and shooting some film.

Back