Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > The Biz > Business/Legal

Old 06-06-2012, 08:07 AM   #16
mckinise
Basic Member

They had one of the projects in my local area. I read it, thought I could help, and just went from there.
mckinise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 06-13-2012, 05:34 PM   #17
mckinise
Basic Member

After discovering the realities of crowd sourcing I decided to alter my project. I lowered the amount to $500. I added a new video. And I added a film we produced to the updates.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ck/lyncredible
Old 06-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #18
Zensteve
Basic - Premiere Expired

Good luck with it, dude.

Btw, I noticed the number of FB likes - 1361. For that kind of popularity, I'd figure you'd have more than the one backer by now. Is there any way to turn that number of likes into more bux for your film? Do you get to broadcast updates to all of those peeps, for example?
Zensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #19
mussonman
Basic Member

I think I might use Kickstarter before i make my movie
mussonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #20
mckinise
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteve View Post
Good luck with it, dude.

Btw, I noticed the number of FB likes - 1361. For that kind of popularity, I'd figure you'd have more than the one backer by now. Is there any way to turn that number of likes into more bux for your film? Do you get to broadcast updates to all of those peeps, for example?
Thank you. I am not sure if the majority of people are waiting on me to get more backers or if they feel that liking the project is enough. I do know that each of the actors have asked their followers for help. No one has pitch in so far.

One problem could be location. The film is being shot in Chicago but the project is in Omaha. The initial project was in Chicago, but the revision is where I am currently. I am in position one in Omaha. I was in the 70's in Chicago.

At this point I would welcome any help. Only a few days left to go.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #21
rayw
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckinise View Post
One problem could be location.
The film is being shot in Chicago
but the project is in Omaha.
The initial project was in Chicago,
but the revision is where I am currently.
I am in position one in Omaha.
I was in the 70's in Chicago.

At this point I would welcome any help.
Next time...

... write for the locations you have free and ready LOCAL access to, like in your own town in the homes and on the land of willing participants, public places and parks.

Next time.
rayw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #22
WalterB
Basic Member

The videointerview needs rewriting: you're not making want people see and fund the project with it, because you're not telling what it's about.
"We have a script about something that really happened" isn't really selling your project. (At least not to me.)

I may sound a bit harsh now, but at this moment you can still do something about it.

Crowdfunding is about 2 things:
- having fans with money or people who own you a favor
- selling your project to (This means you really have to get people interested and excited.)

Good thing about crowdfunding is that you don't have only 1 or 2 persons you can possibly sell the project to. (So you only have a few shots to succeed.)
The bad thing is you have to sell it to a lot of people. (You need a lot of shots to hit enough people.)
WalterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #23
mlesemann
IndieTalk Moderator

In general, I contribute to projects by people who I know, especially those who have helped me in some way (usually NOT monetarily) over the years. I've contributed to some projects where I "know" the person through a board like this one - not because they post once or twice, but are regulars and I see them helping other people.

Sometimes I'm interested in the subject, but sometimes I'm not...it's more the person than the subject, although it does help if it doesn't seem the same as the last 20 pitches that I've seen.
mlesemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #24
mckinise
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayw View Post
Next time...

... write for the locations you have free and ready LOCAL access to, like in your own town in the homes and on the land of willing participants, public places and parks.

Next time.
I have film crew in both states. The last film I was in was Chicago. That is where we are shooting project one. We have all of the locations scouted. We also have the actors lined up.

Project two is going to shot in Lincoln. Everything is set up for it also. Locations, actors, etc.

We are having to build our own sets, however. I have crew with construction experience. They will work for free but the materials are not free.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #25
mckinise
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterB View Post
The videointerview needs rewriting: you're not making want people see and fund the project with it, because you're not telling what it's about.
"We have a script about something that really happened" isn't really selling your project. (At least not to me.)

I may sound a bit harsh now, but at this moment you can still do something about it.

Crowdfunding is about 2 things:
- having fans with money or people who own you a favor
- selling your project to (This means you really have to get people interested and excited.)

Good thing about crowdfunding is that you don't have only 1 or 2 persons you can possibly sell the project to. (So you only have a few shots to succeed.)
The bad thing is you have to sell it to a lot of people. (You need a lot of shots to hit enough people.)
Thanks Walter. I will have a go at a rewrite. Will let you guys know when it is up.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #26
Miken
Basic - Premiere Expired

I donate to one or two projects per month, but not often film related.

I have only ever "known" one person that I've donated to.

Assuming your project isn't one that randomly catches fire, you have to do a few things to be successful.

1) Have a solid video. If you're doing a film project that is a higher bar.
2) Have something to show. Have a sizzle reel, a few scenes, a mocked-up trailer, something.
3) Don't whine. You should never act like a loser and I don't want to hear that the project won't happen without my help.
4) Have an interaction plan. You are raising funds in a direct relationship, think of a way to involve the funders.

Most important -

5) Have an audience. Most of the campaigns I donate to have provided a service. They have put out a regular podcast, e-books, videos, etc. They have provided a value that people are willing to support. This can be a new product or simply digital patronage.

There is a group that does the internet equivalent of improv radio dramas that have entertained me immensely on long drives and night shifts. I'm more than happy to throw money at them. They typically run a 4 or so campaigns per yer and raise 4-5k consistently from 50 backers or so. They have a fairly large audience and a core group of loyal supporters.

The video games that raise funds on there tend to have a functioning demo / beta when they launch.

Authors will have other pieces of work.

You need to have the mindset that the first one is always free. Works for a variety of business ventures.

Last edited by Miken; 06-14-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Miken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #27
mckinise
Basic Member

The New video is up. Only had access to my son's handicam and the editing software that came with it. It should be a more entertaining romp than before. There is still some room for improvement, but it is much better than the old one.

Last edited by mckinise; 06-15-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #28
ItDonnedOnMe
Basic - Premiere Expired

Watched the old video yesterday - this one is definitely better. It feels like it's out of order though. You have 40 seconds of not much going on right at the beginning - a lot of people will tune out here. Then you have a longish explanation of what the story is without much intro to the project, and at 2:20 you finally get into your real hook - I'll bet most people have tuned out by this point. I'd say open with the tank line, then go straight into your visual sequence, then explain the story and finish with what you need the money for.
ItDonnedOnMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #29
WalterB
Basic Member

Like ItDonnedOnMe said: much better!
The order needs some work indeed to grap that attention and motivate people to donate.
But I think you have the content you need, now you need a re-edit.

Try and look what works best:
tank--motion graphics--story from around 1:54--the rest
tank--story from 1:54--motion graphics-- the rest

or:
Why shoud you donate title-- "We have a tank! A freaking tank" -- the story title -- the story from 1:54 -- we have a tank title -- "And if that's not enough to make you donate: we also have..." -- the rest.
(make the tank a thing that comes back)
WalterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #30
directorik
IndieTalk's Resident Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckinise View Post
One problem could be location. The film is being shot in Chicago but the project is in Omaha.
People who believe in you, personally, will not have a problem donating
a few bucks to you. Over 1,300 "Likes" yet those people will not even
donate one dollar.

I wonder if the problem could be the perks you offer. I sure won't donate
the $50 perk - being an extra in your movie is not an incentive to someone
like me. You cut off anyone not living in the immediate area - that includes
the $100 perk. If you are relying on people who wish to be on screen then
location is the problem.

Do you know why those 1,300 people hit "like"? Because they like you,
some member of the cast or you personally? Or because it's kind of an "in"
thing to do - "like" random pages?

And what's up with your $500 perk? Let's say you get one person who
wants a speaking role to give you $100 and one more person who wants
to be an extra to give you $50 each; now you have $200. Then someone
give you $500 to make a different film and wants THEIR friends in their
movie not your cast and they don't need extras.

Your entire campaign comes off as scattered and not thought through.
Makes me wonder if that's how you will run the production I donate to.
Not putting you down - just a personal observation. I hope I'm wrong and
when I check on July 2 you have all the money you need!

But I seriously wonder (as zensteve does) why you can't motivate the
people who already "like" your project to pony up one dollar each. Hell,
even 8% of them dropping $5 would make your current number.
directorik is offline   Reply With Quote