• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

8 Second Film Festival- Call for Entries!

8 Second Film Festival- Call for Entries
www.LobotGallery.com/8Seconds

Submissions Due July 31st
Festival Opening Sept 6, 2008​

Synopsis & Mission:

Time is elusive. It slides between the pauses in conversation. It sneaks past us while we're distracted. It's lost in the hubbub of crowds or in the heat of emotion.

The 8 Second Film Festival is an experiment in capturing time. 8 Seconds. It’s an eternity, or the blink of an eye. An awkward, conspicuous, and distinct increment. At the festival, time moves tidily forward as the co-author of each film you see.

The mission of the 8 Second Film Festival is to engage this restriction fully and facilitate a collaboration among filmmaker, curator, visual artist, and audience, creating a unique experience and body of work that none would be able to accomplish on their own.

The Process:

Filmmakers submit films. Lots of them. The films can be in any cinematic medium with no restraint in terms of content. The only limit is that the films must be 8 seconds long. No more, no less.

Once submitted, the films will be collected and curated into programs that reflect commonalities and themes, ranging from the most physical and specific connections, (i.e. color, content, speed ) to the most abstract (i.e. mood, sensation, concept.) These programs will then be distributed to artists who will create video installations to present in the expansive LoBot Gallery in Oakland, CA.

Finally, the audience can participate as well through by designing custom DVD programs of the films they see.

Submission Guidelines:

All films must be submitted in digital format as high quality QuickTime .mov files.

Please include along with your film(s):

1) Your full name 2) The titles of your films and their corresponding file names 3) Your contact Information including phone and e-mail address.

Entry Fee:

There is a $5 per film fee for the first 5 films. All subsequent films are free to submit. Payments can be sent via paypal.com to 8SecondFilms@gmail.com.

Awards:

Films will be be judged and awarded in the following categories:

1) Audience Award- The film selected by the audience as the best overall 8 Second Film.
2) Best Body of Work by a Filmmaker- This award is given to the filmmaker who's films present the most complete group of work.
3) Best Visual - The award that has the strongest, most arresting imagery
4) Best Use of Sound - The film with the strongest, most effective use of audio.
5) Most Effective 8 seconds - Awarded to the film that best takes advantage of the format and exemplifies what can be accomplished in an 8 second film.
6) Best Animation - This award will be given to the best animated film. Animation would include digital, drawn, stop action, etc.

How to Submit Your films
You can submit your films in a number of ways:

1) Upload films Via FTP

ftp.empireempire.net
Login: filmsubmit
Password: 8SecFilm

2) E-mail

e-mail films to:

8SecondFilms@gmail.com

3) Mail

8 Second Film Festival
Attn: Avery Bloom
1800 Campbell St.
Oakland CA,

8 Second Film Festival FAQ:

Q: “Can I submit a film?”
A: Yes. The 8 second film festival will be populated with the work of prestigious filmmakers and video artists as well as first time filmmakers. Films from all cinematic media are encouraged. We welcome work ranging from Cell Phone to Cell Frame, Hi-Def Digital, Film, Flash etc.

Q: “What if my film is longer or shorter than 8 Seconds?”
A: It won’t be accepted.

Q: "How many films can I submit?"
A: I dare you to submit a thousand. Double dare you.

Q: “Does it cost money to submit films?”
A:Yes. There is a $5 per film fee for the first 5 films. All subsequent films are free to submit. Payments can be sent via paypal.com to 8SecondFilms@gmail.com.

Q: "Are all films that are submitted going to be shown as part of the festival?"
A: No.

Q: "I'm interested in creating installation pieces for the show. How do I become involved?"

A: Please contact Festival Director, Avery Bloom, at 8SecondFilms@gmail.com with a brief proposal and documentation of prior work. There are a limited number of artist positions available.

Q: "Why 8 seconds?"

A: It's a nice awkward increment.

Q: "I want to be a festival sponsor. Is that possible?"

A: Yes. LoBot is a fiscally sponsored 501(c)(3) arts organization and all donations are tax deductible. Please contact Avery Bloom at: 8SecondFilms@gmail.com for more information. We are also seeking in-kind donations in a variety of areas, and have unique sponsorship opportunities available.

Film Sales:

The films at the festival will be for sale, in a variety of unique different ways:

1. Custom Disc- You create a custom DVD, composed of any number of the festival’s films which you select, and in the order you desire.

2. Mini Programs- You can purchase limited edition DVD programs composed of films revolving around specific characteristics. e.g. Films that make you smile; Blue films; Films with sound; Films without people.

3. Single film loop- A DVD of a single film, looped.

4. Complete Program- A DVD of the full program of all the films in the festival.

8 Second Film Festival Schedule:

May 28- Open call for entries

July 31- All submissions due

Aug 8- Selections announced

Sept 6- 8 Second film festival Opening

For press and other inquiries please e-mail:

Avery Bloom, Festival Director- 8SecondFilms@gmail.com

Mailing Address:

8 Second Film Festival
Attn: Avery Bloom
1800 Campbell St.
Oakland CA,