• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch DISORDER

Thought it was put together well. It relies heavily on commercial music you'll have to ditch that as you progress and become more serious, looking at festivals/distro etc. (unless you have rights of course).

Thought it was put together well. It relies heavily on commercial music you'll have to ditch that as you progress and become more serious, looking at festivals/distro etc. (unless you have rights of course).

Thanks for the feedback.

What would you recommend as an alternative? In my current position, I do not create music or know of anyone really capable or wanting to create a small soundtrack. I may have not looked hard enough but I feel like the free online selection is not great.

Personally, I find music copyright law flawed altogether anyway, but I have yet to come up with a better system, so I can't really argue with it.

However, at SCA in the fall, I believe you are required to have all music rights. So kids usually collaborate with the music school to create scores. Really looking forward to that.

There's composers that will work with you if you do not want library music. Some will for free, if you have a project they like.

Also indie bands love getting their music in films.

For the record, the commercial music in your project to me did not "make it or break it." In fact it took me out of it a bit, because I knew it was not used legally and that's all I could think of since you played it so much, so there's that!

For the record, the commercial music in your project to me did not "make it or break it." In fact it took me out of it a bit, because I knew it was not used legally and that's all I could think of since you played it so much, so there's that!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but due to YouTube's recent change in copyright policy, I think I'm within legal right of using the music.

YouTube now recognizes copyright claims and generates view revenue for the label per views, rather than simply flagging/muting or potentially blocking the video. But since my video isn't even monetized and I'm not making money regardless, how could there even be a violation? Using music in a video to share with colleagues seems no different than having music in a family video.

I'm sorry you were taken out of the film. I do hope to try something new with music on my next project.

YouTube is not the US Copyright Office. ;)

If you steal a TV and I let you in my house with it that does not mean you are within the law lol. But we have all used it, especially in film school as I did.

YouTube is not the US Copyright Office. ;)

If you steal a TV and I let you in my house with it that does not mean you are within the law lol. But we have all used it, especially in film school as I did.

I appreciate that you recognize I'm not the only one. Just goes to show that we need to seriously progress our copyright legislation. The Age of Information is advancing too quickly for the government.

I honestly should just approach Joy Division's label with this film to see if they believe I served the music honorably.

I won an award using a song by The Cure in film school. Also we share memes and pics from google all day on the web. Even our avatars on forums are mostly stolen. But if you want to get serious you'll need to do it right.

For my second feature (DETOURS), we found many terrific indie bands and singer/songwriters who were delighted to let us use their music for free in exchange for a credit and thanks.

It took us some time to put together - it was a combination of reaching out to people we know and also watching videos on YouTube then contacting the musicians - but it really worked out well. Plus the musicians were very appreciative of the opportunity, which made it doubly successful.

For my second feature (DETOURS), we found many terrific indie bands and singer/songwriters who were delighted to let us use their music for free in exchange for a credit and thanks.

It took us some time to put together - it was a combination of reaching out to people we know and also watching videos on YouTube then contacting the musicians - but it really worked out well. Plus the musicians were very appreciative of the opportunity, which made it doubly successful.

Thanks for getting back.

I guess that's what I'll have to do with my next short. For now, it's time to start writing a feature.

I understand their inherent purpose, I'm just saying, there's a better way they could be done, even to further benefit the musician.

How so? Please explain... I'm curious since you've already admitted that you can't think of a better way.

If you're not familiar with "Creative Commons" licensing, you should probably look into it.

First off great job. I think the cinematography is very good, and the editing is great.
I do agree that the music was a bit distracting. For all of the scenes up until his skateboard ride I felt that the music detracted rather than helped. For me, one of the strongest moments was where the music dropped out and you had that beeping sound like a monitor in a hospital room or something. I would remove all of the music up until that skateboard ride and fill it with sounds from the world. Put in the sound of traffic, cars driving by, trucks off in the distance, horns honking far away, dogs barking in the distance, birds singing, etc. Because of the nature of the subject matter you could also play around with the audio quite a bit to enhance the feel, meaning, put some weird sounds in there that don't exactly fit, a plane flying too low, people talking who aren't nearby, whatever. Put weird reverbs on them, and have them fade from one into another. Since a lot of this would be all in his head, you can use it to your advantage. You did that with the editing and the cinematography to great effect, but I think you could do that with the sound to great effect too.
Overall great job. Very impressive.

Back