• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch NEPTUNE: A Planetary Biography - short documentary

This is a short film that I made which examines the discovery and exploration of the planet Neptune, and what we know about it.
It started when I read about the story of how Neptune was discovered. I'm a big space geek, and though I watch almost every space documentary I can get my hands on, I'd never heard it. It is a story worth being told, so I decided to tell it, and include a lot of the rest of the basic info about the planet.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Edit: It's about 14 min long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D07ioIgYAbE

Last edited:
This is awesome. Smooth, elegant, and easy to take seriously. I never realized that Neptune is blue! And I like the trouble you took to find images of the people who led to its discovery. I dig the overall aesthetic; subtle but majestic. My one piece of feedback is that this overall soothing and left me a little bit sleepy. Interspersing moments of excitement via music/editing/intensity could help viewer retention. It's a wonderful production - well done.

This is awesome. Smooth, elegant, and easy to take seriously. I never realized that Neptune is blue! And I like the trouble you took to find images of the people who led to its discovery. I dig the overall aesthetic; subtle but majestic. My one piece of feedback is that this overall soothing and left me a little bit sleepy. Interspersing moments of excitement via music/editing/intensity could help viewer retention. It's a wonderful production - well done.

Thank you, Wendy. I'm really glad you enjoyed it so much. It was a lot of fun to do. :cool:

I did actually think about the changing-music thing a bit, and a friend who gave me feedback mentioned it. I decided that if it was any longer I would have, but I just felt that it was just short enough to be okay. Maybe I was wrong. I guess I also felt that using anything except the "Neptune" suite from Holst's 'The Planets' would be cheating. haha

Again, I'm really glad you enjoyed it so much, and thanks for the feedback. :D

Very good, actually. Know what it reminded me of? Those documentaries from the 80s and 90s, when we didn't have our intelligence insulted.

Our of interest, as a fellow planetary nerd, which scope do you use?

Great Documentary. informative and engaging. I really like the depth of detail you go into both in the audio commentary and the photographic diagrams of Neptune. Superb research.

Very good, actually. Know what it reminded me of? Those documentaries from the 80s and 90s, when we didn't have our intelligence insulted.

Our of interest, as a fellow planetary nerd, which scope do you use?

Thanks, JoeHall, glad you enjoyed it. I was actually most inspired by the original Cosmos. And I don't use a scope, sadly. I love space stuff, but I haven't gotten into amateur astronomy (yet).

Great Documentary. informative and engaging. I really like the depth of detail you go into both in the audio commentary and the photographic diagrams of Neptune. Superb research.

Thanks, John. Really glad you thought so. I actually spent more time writing it than I did doing everything else combined. Haha.

Back