• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Voluntary CGI Artists?

Hi,

I'm new to this board and have to say i'm really enjoying reading what everyone has to say and i am already learning a lot!

First of all, let me introduce myself, i'm Glenn, i make low budget (mostly zero budget!) music videos and i am currently working on a sci-fi web series.

I have quite a few people on board already, we are currently in the process of writing the series, we have the first episodes script and are currently awaiting the second and third.

The reason i am here is to look for someone who has good CGI skills to come on board and help us out to get some cool FX for the final product.

Everyone who is currently on board is doing it for free because they are in it for the fun and we are not looking to sell the series at all, its basically just something to show off our skills and also something for us all to watch and love!

I was wondering if there is anybody out there who will be willing to come on board voluntarily?
Please PM me if interested and i will fill you in with the details.

Thanks a lot!

Glenn

Your problem is that 'good' CGI skills (like any skilled profession) take time, practice and study to develop and skilled professionals expect to get paid (and if they're good, they get paid well).

If you can't afford to pay people to work on your film then the best advice I can give you is to scale back your VFX plans as much as possible and look for students/hobbyists that can learn something from their involvement. Failing that, get a copy of Blender and start learning :)

Or you could pay ME for really cheap! ;)

(Here's MY sci-fi webseries that I did everything on, including CGI)

Whilst I admire your pluck and tip my hat to anyone that takes the time to learn new skills in pursuit of telling their stories, you've still got an awful lot to learn about CG - which I'm sure you will in time ;)

you've still got an awful lot to learn about CG - which I'm sure you will in time ;)

Trust me, I'm aware :) You can especially see the difference between that first episode and later ones.

But I feel I've come quite far since I made that series.

My primary focus is comedy though, so I only did the bare minimum I needed in that show (like those corny episodes of Star Trek, where they would use plastic models. It was supposed to feel like one of those, or a B movie)

I also feel that I can make one badass space battle scene, given enough time to do it. :cool:

I also feel that I can make one badass space battle scene, given enough time to do it. :cool:

Then I'll give you a tip passed down to me from Ron Thornton: always have the camera banking slowly in space shots - it can be almost imperceptible but it makes us feel like we're in zero-gravity ;)

Cool, mussonman.

I think you may be able to do what we are looking for I'll PM you with the details soon.
Its only things like flashing lights for time travel sequences and maybe some small animation clips.

I'll be in touch soon!

Thanks guys.

Back