Music Videos

Hey everyone! I've always been interested in doing music videos. I'm working on some right now for a local group and a local rapper, but I'd like to eventually get bigger with where I'm going with these. Does anyone have any advice at all on the filming, directing, or editing of music videos? I appreciate it.

I'm just starting to get into music videos too. You have to have a lot patience. Plan on doing everything yourself until you start working with artists that have managers- that means getting equipment, crew, setting dates, and finding locations all by yourself. Also remember that musicians aren't actors, so keep that in mind if the video's going to involve any actual dialog/acting.

As far as editing suggestions- just watch music videos and recreate aspects that you like. The videos on MTV (when they play videos) have larger budgets, but outside of that there's really no reason why you can't make videos just as good or even better than the big boys

A few things to keep in mind: Whenever you're relying on free extras, they will always show up 2 hours late. Tell them to show up at 10, so that by 12 most of them have shown up. Don't put too much pressure on yourself, especially for a music video. Unlike a film where every little thing has to be planned out beforehand, a music video gives you the most freedom to experiment and showcase your creativity. Don't waste energy thinking of the greatest video ever! Just go out there and shoot. Some of my best work was on the fly, guerilla style!

Editing: If you are shooting slow-mo while the artist is singing in front of the camera, make sure the song is played and sung at twice the speed. You'll thank me when you're in post. It'll make your life easier.

Clientele: Start by doing a couple of free vids, get that resume/portfolio going. From my experience, the key to eventually succeeding is persistence and dedication. Stay at it, believe, and there's no doubt in mind you won't make it. You just gotta believe.

The rest is up to you...

Mario

If you don't know much about shooting a music video my advice is watch A LOT of music videos, take A LOT of notes and copy what you liked. At least you'll learn the process.

as Directorik says (and this goes for any project) don't be afraid to shoot too much-it's always better to have an abundance in editing and cutting down, then trying to save time/footage and then realizing you don't have enough to work with. :)

Back