Continuous Lighting

Hello guys.

I am thinking about running a youtube channel for informative videos, reviews etc. and maybe later for some of my planned short footage movies and clips. I don't have a big budget and the lighting in my room is shit so I definitely need something. Browsed the ebay and came across this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Photo-Stu...325660?hash=item4afa9011dc:g:4x0AAOSwU-pXrC09
Does anyone have experience with it or would you recommend me something else?

Thank you for your answers!

spiraling bulbs are CFL style lights

personally I use DIY LED, I bought a power strip. I bought a bunch of adaptors from power outlet to light bulb outlet. I bought splitters from 1 light bulb outlet into 2 light bulb outlets.

then i put those in a white cardboard box and I had my own DIY light. Super bright, high quality LED bulbs, and not very expensive.

this kit you have comes with a lot of accessories.. you could always go buy LED and swap out the bulbs.
it's cool that it comes with a green screen, reflectors, and stands.

although on second thought - that green screen is only 3m .. isn't that only 6 feet? I'm taller than six feet.

Last edited:
1. What camera will you be using?

2. If you haven't already, you should definitely learn and practice the basics of 3-point lighting.

3. Or, you might want to take a look at many of the tutorials out there and recognize that most of them have shit lighting, and nobody really cares. Does it really matter for your planned series? Maybe, maybe not, that's up to you to decide.

4. I definitely think that with a little research, you can piece together a really inexpensive DIY light kit, for way less than you'd spend on purchasing one.

5. Should you be intent on just purchasing one, I personally think a kit like this would work better: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/298604-REG/Impact_401470_Three_Light_Mini_Boom_Kit.html. The kit you linked should work just fine, but it kinda looks like a poorly-built POS that would be easy to break. In addition to that, I think soft light is best for the key and the fill, but for back light I prefer something more hard. The kit I linked will provide exactly that.

Disclaimer: I'm NOT a cinematographer, more a jack-of-all-trades, haha. Welcome to the site, and best of luck on your project! :)

I bought that light kit. The lights are bright! We did an interview the other day and only used two bulbs in each softbox and one bulb above/behind.

You get what you pay for. The stands are incredibly flimsy, they bend easily, but they are adequate. If you are not moving and setting up in a new spot every day, it should work.

Not pro gear. I give it 3.5 stars, but I'm also not returning it, because, well ... it works! Pros would find it frustrating to assemble and disassemble. I'm sure it is not intended for every day work. It would not last too long.

The stuff is cheap thin Chinese made, budget, starter kit kind of quality. The lights are the only part I was completely satisfied with. At this price, it's hard to go too wrong. You can always make do with a patch here and an extra support there etc.

It's adequate, however, It will give you the light you need, and it really works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back