...a good mic...

...could anyone suggest a good mic? I am not quite sure if I should get a shotgun or just 'a regular' mic.

I will be taping some sit down interviews and some 'action' shots, meaning we may be walking and talking. I expect there to be alot of noise around us and I am sure we won't be able to do anything about that, but a good mic would at least send that noise to the background, which is what I am going for anyway. Any suggestions would be appreciated as good sound for a rockumentary is important. What is the best mic I can get for about $200? Can't afford much more yet, but I am open to suggestions and would love some advice for the future....

--spinner :cool:

You might want to look at wireless lav mics too.. also keep in mind you can generally rent good mics for next to nothing, if that's possible in your area it might (at this time) be your best bet.

Sennheiser ME66/K6 Shotgun. Very reliable and affordable. Can buy new for about $410-$490, or used for about $300. Rents with boom/cables/etc. for under $50/day. I rented this mic for my last few shoots and was pleased enough with it that I just bought a used from B&H yesterday for $299. Last time I checked, they had another one going for about $320 used.

Last edited:
ahab said:
Sennheiser ME66/K6 Shotgun...I just bought a used from B&H yesterday for $299. Last time I checked, they had another one going for about $320 used.

...you got lucky! I saw the same mic, but when I went back it was gone. I will be getting the Audio Technica. any more words of wisdom before I make this purchase?

Fresh batteries every time you shoot! Get rechargeables and save money in the long run...bring extras. If you start to hear the sound starting to be anything less than good, change the battery first, then troubleshoot if the problem persists (lessons learned through spending unnecessary time and money).

knightly said:
Fresh batteries every time you shoot! Get rechargeables and save money in the long run...bring extras. If you start to hear the sound starting to be anything less than good, change the battery first, then troubleshoot if the problem persists (lessons learned through spending unnecessary time and money).

...uh, for the time being, can I use good ol' energizers??? I'll be 'on location' for 21 days...
how often do you change your batteries...

I have a charger that charges 4 batteries overnight, I change my batteries at the beginning of every time I shoot. The original battery I put in at the beginning of the shoot lasted weeks, but I'd rather be safe than sorry...and since they're lithium ion batteries, they don't mind being "topped off" with charge. I have to reshoot the singles on a scene because I let the charge run out of the mike battery, I'll never have that problem again. I started troubleshooting the cable and the plugs...lots of $$ at radio shack until I realized that the battery was dying.

Energizers should be fine and will probably last for 3 or 4 days of shooting, but I wouldn't leave it to chance.

...Thanks for your help...

I think it would make sense for me to invest in the rechargable batteries, but, I am planning to pick up a rewinder for all those mini dvs and a possible second charger for my camera batteries...right now, I don't know if I can add another expense like that, but I will go over the price of the rechargeable ones and the charger vs. buying the batteries out right to last me for 21 days...

I am gonna be in hock up to my eyeballs :lol: somebody better give me a grant, damn it!!!
...well, one bigger than the one I have, not that I am not eternally grateful... :)

Back