• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

The Prosumer Myth is bad

OK, I know I'm not going to make any friends with this thread, but I really need to share my thoughts and feelings about the mythology of Prosumer camcorder film making.

The basic problem with cheap prosumer camcorders is they give both too much and too little to make a movie.

They give too much in terms of formats: DV/Dvcam/HDV/HD720p/DVCPro50/DVCProHD etc etc... and yet neither the chips or the optics are good enough to serve the formats... and because the price you pay for a cheap camcorder is HAVING to use the sub-standard lens they provide, there is always going to be a huge difference between what those camcorders promise and what they deliver.

Not only that, because they are always light weight and either won't shoulder mount... or when they can, don't have the right kind of balance for hand held camera work... they present a set of limitations, which isn't out weighted (IMO) by their cheapness.

One of the common arguments made by DV film makers is that the cheap camcorder gives them the opportunity to learn how to make films without having to invest huge amounts of money.

However, this arguments doesn't hold up for a number of reasons:

Firstly, when people talk about the maths of DV production they are talking about $3K for a prosumer camcorder, $2K on a computer and editing software, and about $2K on other bits and pieces collected over time. Seriously, by the time you've added on some fancy pluggins to make the DV look like film, a 35mm adaptor, a Matte box, a cheap steadycam, some lights, a decent mic, a boom pole and three hundred books on how to make Hollywood movies on DV cams, then you're easily looking at another $2K.

So, all in all you've invested $7K on equipment that almost, by isn't quite good enough to do the job.

Secondly, working on prosumer camcorders with no crew is completely different from working with a professional crew and equipment. Only about 30% of the skills acquired shooting on camcorders translates over to working with professional kit... even less when it comes to camera operating or producing.

So, actually the skills a DV camcorder film maker acquires don't relate to the industry at all... they are not good learning tools.

If we go back a few years... then indies worked in a different way (this is more true in the UK and Europe where there has never been a market for home grown direct to DVD movies)... basically, a film maker made some short films... either on digital or on film... saved up their money and honed a really good short, which they shot on 35mm with a name actor... and they they used this demonstration of technical competence to chase down a budget large enough to shoot their first feature film... on film.

Every step of that process they worked with the best professional crews they could... they shot less often... but they invested more time in development of their ideas and their scripts.

Now, professional HD equipment and film cameras are still available for us to use... not always at a huge price... there are skilled professionals out there who want to work on interesting projects.

Primer was shot, on film, for $7000.

The very practice of working on film... or on professional HD means you have to prepare your story and your shoot. You can't just pick up you camera and waste both tape and time noodling about.

What I've seen in the indie world isn't the explosion of new talent into the industry... but instead a ghetto mentality... "we make films on camcorders... we only do it this way... we think every new format development or gadget is going to allow us to live the dream of making movies, without actually having to make movies."

Instead of seeing hundreds of breakout movies hitting the cinema, made with the advantages of new technology, instead I see more and more indies going from film making as a career to film making as a hobby.

Somewhere in the last seven years the possibilities of new digital technology destroyed the indie film scene... a scene that has stopped talking about distribution deals... a scene that has stopped talking about budgets... a scene that has replaced movie making with talk about the new cameras.

And we've let this happen... what the hell went wrong... and when did the ambition to make real movies stop being a part of indie film making.

Somewhere the difference between being a film maker and being an indie became a yawning chasm... and it all happened in the last five years.

I do have a solution though... stop making films, stop buying equipment... work out what movie you really want to make and spent the next year writing it... then make it with a professional crew on either film or at the very least the Panasonic Varicam.

Either that...or somebody make a film on a prosumer camcorder that gets an international cinema release and some decent press.

Last edited:
I think there is a strong case for telling a young director to NOT spend $2K on a camcorder, but instead to go do Tom Noonan's acting workshop in New York... which is aimed at writers/directors and actors..

Absolutely, there's a very strong case and taking a step like that would prove the seriousness of any would-be film maker.

I do, however, have a true life mild success story due to a fellow writing a short script, grabbing whatever prosumer camera he could get his hands on and shooting it under the practical, flat, lighting at the ad agency where he works. He hadn't directed anything, but wanted to get into it and thought he could make this tiny short to prove he's capable...

http://www.pawky.com/featured/coffee_break

Sure, it's a bit amateur looking (Larry would be the first to admit that), but it's pretty funny and shows he can tell a simple story in a short amount of time. It did quite well, for what it is. It played in many film festivals until, eventually, a film festival actually paid to strike a 35mm print simply because that's all they accept for final screenings and they really wanted his short.

Then, the Chicago International Film Festival came to his agency for their yearly commercial. They don't have a lot of dough, but the agency still takes it and gives it to an eager director that is willing to do smaller stuff, so Larry jumped at the opportunity. Based on the success of his short, he got it. He hired a producer and me to DP (this was the first time I met him). Naturally I was a bit skeptical, because he was so green which usually means I wind up making all the creative decisions. Not that I'm complaining, because I was well paid, but I prefer a nice collaboration. And it was.

We put together a tight crew and shot this...

http://larryz.pawky.com/video/violin

He put together another short called Check Please, this time with a producer and full crew (I was the cinematographer again) and it's played all over the place, the latest being the Cinequest Film Festival.

We're prepping for his third (and biggest) short right now. I don't believe he has aspirations to one day make feature films, but he's certainly building a nice reel to one day direct national spots.

I am now the other filmmaker with their own bigger camera in your equation (replace the panny with a canon)...and I started with a $500 camera ;) Those more experienced filmmakers have to start somewhere too. I just chose to do it...and without the benefit of this conversation, just sheer will. So I simply didn't know any better. My experience had taught me that I could do it on my own with my own camera and my budget allowed me to buy a camera at that time. I started with no expectations other than to be a hobbyist. Those expectations have changed...mostly because I don't like to learn just the basics of things I am digging into.

My crew that I offer newer filmmakers to help work with is cobbled together from friends who decided I was worth pitching in with to learn with me...no experienced people on set generally, just enthusiastic novices.

This discussion has me revisiting my beginning interest in this stuff. I accidentally happened across this board while researching cinematography and trying to figure out which camera to purchase...I think I got here from a link in another forum or a google search or something. Purely accidental discovery, otherwise I would never have known that I needed more people on set to do the kind of stuff I had in my head.

Before coming here, I knew, based only on the fact that lots of names were listed at the ends of movies, that tons of people were used to make the movies I enjoyed watching. Connecting that to money hadn't happened yet. My time on Liza's site had shown me that DIY filmmaking was possible (I didn't find out how much had been spent on her project until she lost all the footage in Hurricane Wilma :( )

Finally ending up here, I learned what all the pieces and parts were that I was missing on my set and began to see where the jobs were that needed filling. Only then could I set about filling them. Lack of access to a filmmaking community (or much of a cohesive creative community even - which in this area is very disconnected unless you are very affluent) drove my path seeing as I wanted to pursue filmmaking and nothing was going to stop me.

My advice...if the only way you can figure out to make films is to buy a camera and figure it out on your own time (scheduling is a big thing here...especially if you come with a career and family like I did when I finally decided to pursue this more seriously), do so. Tell everyone what you are doing...people on the bus, people in the supermarket, people sitting in the theater next to you. Most people will think you're some kind of freak, but that one "right" person will say...oooh, mr. kotter, I want to do that too...or I already do that.

The problem I have with the find and learn from established people thing is that all of the established people I've met wouldn't have had the patience to deal with the onslaught of questions I would have provided... I'd have ended up costing them tons of money. The people around this area that you can find with equipment in a non-random fashion will charge you butt-loads of money to have them work on your shoots or only take in unpaid student interns to let you work on theirs. I would have had to give up at that point if those were the options I had to pursue to be a filmmaker. Without the DIY DV "one man and a cam" attitude, I wouldn't be here now with a regular cast of 10 or so folks and a crew of 10-15 regulars.

There will always be people who don't want to grow, but the folks who do and pursue that course will do so at just about any cost.

I don't even necessarily agree that working on someone else's set works for everyone, even some people who will end up as "huge" filmmakers with Professional crews. Whatever you think of M. Night Shaymalan, he started out with him, his camera and a dog. Spielberg started out with his dad's super8 camera and his friends. Rodriguez started out with a VHS camera and his siblings before he moved to film.

Your drive and vision determine where you will go, no matter where you start. If you really end up wanting it and fighting for it, you'll get the people networking that needs to happen...generally, just when you're about to give up on it...this is true in life, not just filmmaking. The successful people are the ones who keep their eyes peeled for and attuned to those connections.

Attitude determines results. And unless I miss my mark, that's the point of the $1000film project at the bottom of your post Clive ;) Ignoring the initial cost of my equipment, which I can do because I purchased it without knowing where I was going with it, the budgets for my feature and 8 short films doesn't exceed $750. I worked with what I had (especially a bunch of creative friends looking for an outlet) and made it happen. Granted, I haven't achieved any that fully meet my expectations yet, but we're getting really close.

Attitude determines results. And unless I miss my mark, that's the point of the $1000film project at the bottom of your post Clive

Yes, absolutely... attitude is more important than anything else. Your budget becomes irrelevant if you have the right attitude and you focus on making the best film you can.

I do, however, have a true life mild success story due to a fellow writing a short script, grabbing whatever prosumer camera he could get his hands on and shooting it under the practical, flat, lighting at the ad agency where he works. He hadn't directed anything, but wanted to get into it and thought he could make this tiny short to prove he's capable...

I've been laughing all day about this one... I, in all honesty, can't work out whose argument this story supports... on the one hand you've got the plucky prosumer first time film maker whose first short get festival recognition... on the other hand you've got a guy who recognised that he needed a pro DOP, a budget and crew to get a decent looking second film. It kind of support both views... doesn't it?

OK... now for a confession.

I think it's perfectly OK to choose to shoot on ANYTHING you want!

In fact, I have no problems with people choosing to shoot on prosumer... in fact, I can imagine projects where a prosumer camera would be the perfect choice.

At the same time, I don't want people to believe it's the only choice... there are other ways of making films, regardless of budget, location and levels of experience.

The only prosumer myth that bothers me is the one that says "this is the only choice"

Maybe there are circumstances where that is true... but those circumstances aren't universal.

Regardless of what people choose to shoot on... I think it's important they at least ask themselves why they are working in a particular way.

Last edited:
Back