Directing on a Per-Line Basis...Am I Expecting to Much?

Hey all,

Some of you may have seen some of my stuff I've posted over in the screen room, and as I've been making films for the past couple years now, I feel like I've begun to hit a plateau. I'm reaching a point where I feel like the weakest link in my films is the acting, whereas it used to be more the technical side. The acting was always passable enough, but now I'm really reaching a point where I want to take things to the "next level", which has me asking the same question after every shoot: "am I a terrible director?"

I often times find myself having to direct on a per-line basis with my actors. Is this normal? I have a hard time believing that when I watch Lost that the directors would have to come up to Matthew Fox for each line and get him to deliver it well by coming up with every possible synonym for what they want, then eventually devolving into line readings. I understand in that case we're talking about professional actors. I guess the question I have is how do I draw the line between what my responsibility is as a director and what the actors responsibility is? I find myself often demoralized because I have to try and get every line delivery to be good, and it still never comes out right. Does this make me a bad director because I can't teach my actors more ways to empathize with their characters? Or does it mean I have incapable actors?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be a director who "phones it in", but at the same time, I feel a director's job is to collaborate with an actor to try and create the best atmosphere possible for the film, not to teach an actor how to act. This is where my frustration comes in. As someone who has never worked "professionally", it's really hard for me to tell when I'm not doing my job well, or when it's the actors, or if it's both. Thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

- Tommy

There is a theatre department at my college, yes...and there is one at the local community college. I've been to many shows, I wouldn't use those people if they payed ME. Unfortunately, I've explored A LOT of local avenues such as community theatres, colleges, etc. Generally people don't commit to projects and the ones that do are incredibly unreliable, let alone whether or not they're talented.

I think there's nothing to lose by trying. I don't know what your local theater departments are like, but for what it's worth, I've had a WONDERFUL experience working with actors from my local college. They are trained to do the specific things you are wanting for.

Seriously, the only thing to lose is a day of shooting. You might not enjoy the experience, or you could end up having your mind changed. I think it's a good idea. :)

The theater dept actors are going to be your best bet. I highly doubt you'll find some hidden treasure of an actor that's never done local theater. I may happen, but doubtful.

I would cull a bit of all the ideas on this thread and approach these theater people with them. At the very least, they have experience on stage. In fact, one of the ideas was to find which actor fits the given role the best with their natural personality. If you use that idea with a troupe of actors, you may find what you're looking for...

I truly wish you luck with it. I know from experience that it ain't easy finding good actors...

The theater dept actors are going to be your best bet. I highly doubt you'll find some hidden treasure of an actor that's never done local theater. I may happen, but doubtful.

I would cull a bit of all the ideas on this thread and approach these theater people with them. At the very least, they have experience on stage. In fact, one of the ideas was to find which actor fits the given role the best with their natural personality. If you use that idea with a troupe of actors, you may find what you're looking for...

I truly wish you luck with it. I know from experience that it ain't easy finding good actors...

Well I'm sure a lot of good people start in local theatre, I just now know that currently there aren't really any talented people in local theatre. Around where I am the local arts community is unfortunately very non-existent. However, I will look into paying actors. I'm just trying my best to be frugal and put what little money I have where it's most needed.

Thanks for the good luck wish, it means a lot. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who's experienced these problems.

Maybe you could write a few little less highbrow dramas and let the dreadful ComThe thespians ply their trade (such that it is) toward some farce and screwball comedy.

amp-jump-start.jpg

Last edited:
Some actors just need a good director to bring out their performance. There may be some raw talent in the local theatre community. The trick is to spot it and mold it into a polished product.

My advice would be to take some acting classes yourself. Come down to Chicago for a weekend and go to a workshop. A great teacher is like a great director in that they know how to coax out a good performance if the talent is there. So you'll learn a lot about directing by putting yourself in the actor's shoes.

Back