• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Advert: "The Device"

I liked it. Is she really Russian? Cause that's a pretty good accent if she's not. Is it a little long for a commercial??

Yeah, her name is Inneska Vk, and yes she is Russian.

I had a completely different script until I heard her on the phone, I loved what I heard and played it up.

I completely ignored the 1 min or less requirement. If they care, I can cut it down.

Times up. I had intended to do just that last night.. but the dog went into labor, something was wrong, wife had melt down, emergency trip to vet and $1500 later I have 4 very cute Scottish Terrier pups and one commercial that is too long!

FWIW, the puppies are already sold for $800 each, so it was a good call on the vet, normally something like that and Id just say "let nature take its course" and if things go too bad Id apply the $0.28 final solution. Shes a good dog, but not $1500 worth of good!

EDIT: If my wife hears that, Im a dead man!

Times up. I had intended to do just that last night.. but the dog went into labor, something was wrong, wife had melt down, emergency trip to vet and $1500 later I have 4 very cute Scottish Terrier pups and one commercial that is too long!

FWIW, the puppies are already sold for $800 each, so it was a good call on the vet, normally something like that and Id just say "let nature take its course" and if things go too bad Id apply the $0.28 final solution. Shes a good dog, but not $1500 worth of good!

EDIT: If my wife hears that, Im a dead man!

$0.28 worth of dead. :) I feel yah on that one.

I used that joke on friend last night and he wanted to know where I was shopping for ammo so he could avoid the outlandish prices! lol I replied "nothing but the best for my dogs! "

Nice work! Very well-shot. I think I'd agree with Papertwin -- brevity might be better. Also, I think you can bring the music up in the mix, significantly.

Out of curiosity, what sort of speakers do you have? Even an inexpensive pair of studio monitors go a long way.

I have EV Sentry 100EL monitors... but I think I only used the headphones on this. I also took other shortcuts that cost a bit on the SFX and MUSIC mix. I did not follow my normal process of mixing on my DAW, rather I just did it all in the NLE. Saved a bit of time, didnt have my NORMAL tools available...

honest question about brevity on this. If you ignore the it was TARGETED as a commercial, does it still FEEL too long? Pretend its a mini short.

Thanks

honest question about brevity on this. If you ignore the it was TARGETED as a commercial, does it still FEEL too long? Pretend its a mini short.

Thanks

Needless to say, there is no right or wrong way to do it, but after watching it again, pertaining to your question, yeah, I would cut it differently. I wouldn't shorten overrall length by a whole lot -- probably by less than ten seconds. But what I would do would be to have their lines (and actions) butt up against each other.

One thing I like to do when editing dialogue in which people are in conflict (and that's pretty much always) is to first see how much I can put each line on top of the other, then back off just a tad. I'll have one person's dialogue in one track, and the other person's on another. I'll move one line further on top of the other, so that they're interrupting, and give it a look (listen, really). I move it again, just a few frames, and listen again. Move again, listen again, etc. I don't really see an exact science to it -- each line of dialogue calls for it's own rules. Sometimes I find that it works best if one person is completely interrrupting the other, starting their dialogue while the other finishes their sentence. Sometimes, I'll insert a pause in there, that we didn't shoot. For each cut, it's trail and error, but I always start by seeing how much I can butt them against each other.

In watching this short, I think I would definitely have many of those lines of dialogue right on top of the other, one starting immediately after the other finishes. Ditto for some of the actions. Like punching him in the gut. That can come sooner.

For all of this, we're only talking a few frames here, a few frames there, but I am of the strong opinion that in editing, every single frame is of the utmost importance. It's these few little straggling frames that affect the overall feel of an edit.

Back