• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Live on Austin Street: Kate Miller-Heidke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-qljhoH57o

This does not look like the song has been overdubbed. Everything regarding her lips and sound sync up too perfectly to be dubbed. Yet there's numerous angles and no street noise. There's no visible mics, yet everything matches up perfectly.

If this were live, how do you think they did it?

I'm probably reading too much into it. But, it looks so perfect.

It's also a great song.

They know the song really well. If they did record it live there, I would imagine that there was one take that the song came from and the cut-away parts are the parts that they sang the same and those parts that seems too specific to lip-sync were from the 'source audio' take, if you know what I mean...

They know the song really well. If they did record it live there, I would imagine that there was one take that the song came from and the cut-away parts are the parts that they sang the same and those parts that seems too specific to lip-sync were from the 'source audio' take, if you know what I mean...

That must be right. But, as I continue to watch over and over, the CU of her face and the wide shot are not lipsynced. By the inflection in her voice you can tell it's live (somehow). Maybe there's a camera on that board she's standing next to for the CU. It's weird. It's really well done.

She's a multi-platinum artist in Australia (deservedly so), and not even recognizable in the US. We're late for the boat on this one.

Is this out side the convention center at SXSW in Austin TX? Sure looks like it, I gotta miss SXSW this year, but it's because my lady's giving birth, so it's very worth it!!!

Is this out side the convention center at SXSW in Austin TX? Sure looks like it, I gotta miss SXSW this year, but it's because my lady's giving birth, so it's very worth it!!!

I'm not sure where it was shot. I was only in Austin once to see Patricia Vonne.

Baby or Film Fest and you chose baby? What kind of film fan are you? Have her give birth in a theatre and film it. Everybody wins.

CONGRATS.

That has got to be a lip-sync.

Leaving the clarity and spaciousness of the mix aside, considering the distance that she has to be from the mic, some ambience from the space had to be recorded, yet her voice is as "dry" as the Sahara (meaning that there is no reverb on her voice). There should also be some "bleed" from the acoustic guitar that would also be picked up by a live mic that would give the guitar some reverb. Her voice is quite compressed, and that would only enhance any noise from traffic, birds, etc. picked up by the mics, not to mention overemphasizing the reverb of the space in which they are "performing."

I've mixed performers in live situations with great gear where the singer "eats" the mic (sing with their lips touching the mic) on an open stage (nowhere for reverb bounce to occur) and it's not even close to being that clean. BTW, watch it again and notice that there a people walking around, doors closing, etc. and you never hear any of it. You can see the lav on her neck, and it should have picked up those sounds because of the placement.

Some people are excellent at lip-syncing, and editing music videos to maintain the live illusion is an art unto itself. Also, the recording has a very "live-in-the-studio" quality (which it probably is) to enhance the live illusion.

I'm not sure where it was shot. I was only in Austin once to see Patricia Vonne.

Baby or Film Fest and you chose baby? What kind of film fan are you? Have her give birth in a theatre and film it. Everybody wins.

CONGRATS.

lol! Thanks! I actually go down to SXSW as a musician and with artists from my label. I always get down the week after the film fest and have never got to check it out. I got to see part of American, the Bill Hicks story last year, but that was playing during the music part.

Back