Audio Attenuator

Hi guys, so I noticed that my PMD 661 has an "Audio attenuator" feature on the pre settings. you can set it at either -6,-12 or -18. Problem is, I don't know what this does. I have messed around with it and can't seem to figure out what it is used for. Not to mention the hours I spent online trying to figure out what this device is used for. How could I benefit recording dialogue using this thing. My mic is an NTG2 if that helps at all.

If you are working with hot (loud) signals the attenuator is a "pad" that reduces the input level. You are being given a choice of how much you want to attenuate/pad/reduce the input signal; the larger the number the more attenuation is applied to the signal.

No attenuation/padding/reduction is needed for most production sound situations. However, if you go out into the field to record sound effects you may want to engage the attenuator when recording vehicles, weapons, planes/jets, loud music, etc., or perhaps if you are recording dialog where everyone is screaming at the top of their lungs.

BTW, the output level of the NTG-2 is about -6dB lower than most mics.

he's saying that your mic isn't as sensitive as more expensive mics.

think of having an attenuation control as how sensitive you want your mic to be.

no attenuation - it's as sensitive as it can go, you're getting lots of signal. probably dialogue.

-6db to -18db.. as above, if you're recording things that your own ears find loud, you might put on a pair of earmuffs or some earplugs. it's the same for a microphone.. using that -6, -12 or -18 pad lessens its sensitivity so that you're not asking it to hear things "too loud" for it. it'd be like putting your own head beside a loud car exhaust and expecting things to either not hurt or cause hearing damage. with a microphone, it typically translates into distortion if it's "too loud". using your attenuation helps with this, but in the end, microphone placement is just as important.

But how would the Mic Attenuation react to my Dual mono mode? It records another track -20 db lower so if I used the Attenuation at, well, lets say for example -6 then that would mean my Dual mono would be recording a track -14 db lower in stead of the normal -20 db, right?

he's saying that your mic isn't as sensitive as more expensive mics.

No, I did not that the NTG-2 was less sensitive.

I said that the NTG-2 had a lower output level/signal; that's different than sensitivity. The NTG-2 is identical to the NTG-1 with one exception; the NTG-2 has internal circuitry powered by a battery to supply the mic with phantom power. The capsule in the NTG-1 is IDENTICAL to the capsule in the NTG-2, therefor possesses the same sensitivity. For some reason mics that use this internal phantom power scheme (such as the Audio Technica AT897 or AKG C1000s to name just two) have lower output levels.

BTW, the NTG-1 is less expensive than the NTG-2.

And he's not asking about the mic, he's asking about the attenuation parameters of the audio recorder (PMD-661).

Oh, attenuation pads/reduces the signal, it does not alter the sensitivity.

But how would the Mic Attenuation react to my Dual mono mode? It records another track -20 db lower so if I used the Attenuation at, well, lets say for example -6 then that would mean my Dual mono would be recording a track -14 db lower in stead of the normal -20 db, right?

In dual mono mode track A is at normal (+/- 0dB) and track B is -20dB.

My assumption is that if you engage the attenuator Track A would be -6dB (or -12dB or -18dB) and Track B would be -26dB (or -32dB or -38dB). That is, of course, unless you can set the pads independently on each channel in dual mono mode.

What does the manual say? Or the Marantz web-site? Or the PMD Users Group?

Last edited:
Back