A little noisy with other questions

Hey guy,s I have been testing out my PMD 661 and to start off I must say that I really do like this device. it is easy to locate and easy to use, not to mention the thing is a brick.

However, when going back and listing in I can't help but here a little bit of noise in the background. Now I know all devices will give some noise no matter what but I am just curious how I can get rid of it. Is it something I can do in post? (Adobe or Adobe After Affects)

Not sure if anyone on here is familiar with the PMD but on the bottom you have the a little knob where can adjust you levels/ gain. Mine has been set at either a little past 4 or to 5 because anything lower then that I can not hear it in my head phones ( MDR 7506) So it seems that I am stuck with that.

I am on Dual Mono mode and am ALso wondering How I can extract the other recorded track that records
-20db less. When I up load it onto my computer I only get one file you would think since it is Dual Mono there would be two separate files.

I am also a little worried, I mean, I can't afford to buy any preamps and because of that I feel I am going to waste theses actors times with this audio if I can't reduce the noise.

My set up is NTG2 inside a blimp with dead cat on it. on a DIY boom pole and straight into my PMD 661. I have read having you mic into a pre amp and then the pre amp plugged into a recorder is recommended but I don't have the funds, is this something to worry about?

Never the less, on a positive note none of my audio clips have been distorting, clipping, none of that. And I wonder why? Would I be able to hear distortion on my head phones when I review the Audio on the recorder? Or can I only hear the Distortion on my computer (which I never hear any)

The only time my levels ever got to the "Red Zone" was a couple of times and that was only up to the 10.

Lots of Noob questions I know and I really do appreciate all the help I get on here from everyone,

However, when going back and listing in I can't help but here a little bit of noise in the background. Now I know all devices will give some noise no matter what but I am just curious how I can get rid of it.

What kind of noise "in the background." Is it ambient noise or is it "technology" noise such as mic or pre-amp hiss?

Is it something I can do in post? (Adobe or Adobe After Affects)

It depends upon what type of noise it is, and what tools (EQ, NR, etc.) that you have available to you. You can use Noise Reduction, lower the BG/Ambient noise between lines of dialog with volume automation, eliminate some of the hiss with a low pass filter or do all three.

Not sure if anyone on here is familiar with the PMD but on the bottom you have the a little knob where can adjust you levels/ gain. Mine has been set at either a little past 4 or to 5 because anything lower then that I can not hear it in my head phones ( MDR 7506) So it seems that I am stuck with that.

You know that you can set it higher as well? Figure out the loudest you will get in a given situation, get the pre-amp right there, then back it off about 10%, maybe 15%; when the performance is for real it's always louder. And have you checked the headphone output levels in the main menu? This is the first time I've heard anyone complain about low monitoring levels (except for those with hearing problems).

I am on Dual Mono mode and am also wondering how I can extract the other recorded track that records -20db less. When I up load it onto my computer I only get one file you would think since it is Dual Mono there would be two separate files.

No big deal. There should be an audio function in Premiere or whichever DAW you are using called "Split Mono" or "Split Files" or something similar. I don't know about other programs, but in Pro Tools all you have to do is drag a stereo file to a pair of mono files and, voilá! you have two mono files. Mute the one you don't need.

I am also a little worried, I mean, I can't afford to buy any preamps and because of that I feel I am going to waste theses actors times with this audio if I can't reduce the noise..... I have read having you mic into a pre amp and then the pre amp plugged into a recorder is recommended but I don't have the funds, is this something to worry about?

At this point noise is more about your technique than your gear - you have a decent recorder and a passable mic. Properly booming the mic and properly gain-staging the PMD-661 are the important aspects to master right now. You can add a nice mixer later on.

Would I be able to hear distortion on my head phones when I review the Audio on the recorder? Or can I only hear the Distortion on my computer (which I never hear any)... The only time my levels ever got to the "Red Zone" was a couple of times and that was only up to the 10.

You should hear it when monitoring in real time and during playback directly from the unit. In prosumer units like the PMD-661 there is a little additional headroom when you touch red so it won't distort. Be aware that professional units are far less forgiving, but, generally, you get much better levels and far superior sound with them, and by the time you can afford them you really know what you are doing.

Last edited:
Hey man,

The noise is a faint hissing sound. I am hoping that If I can't eliminate it ( or reduce) that I can do something in Adobe After Affects or Premier Pro.

I know I can go higher with the gain/level control, I think it goes to about 10. but damn is that noise and just loud, the 4 or 5 seems to do good at the moment for me but im gonna try looking into the head phone out put, I don't have a hearing problem so i don't know what could up up. Hope it's not a faulty unit.

Really want people to watch this so the Audio to me is the biggest priority.

Is audio completely ruined if there is a hissing sound recorded into it? I am sure it depends how much of a hiss but lets say in general is it able to be reduced at all?

If you have Premier you should have a low pass filter in the EQ. It's on the left side. The High Pass Filter (HPF) for removing rumble is on the right.

EQ-Applied-and-Open-for-an-Audio-Track.png

EDIT - they look more like shelving EQ, but LPF and HPF should be in there somewhere; they're basic!

There are LOTS of videos on YouTube about using EQ and Noise Reduction is Premiere.

Last edited:
I've been doing audio post for about 11 years now. I worked at music recording studios for about five years before that. Prior to that I was a working stage and studio musician, and had some form of project studio since the mid-1980's. When I was doing studio sessions I would kibitz with the engineers as along as it didn't interfere with the session, and on occasion would fly second chair during mix-downs.

if you have cs5.5 production premium then adobe audition is there too.. it has a pretty good noise reduction tool, where you can take a sample of just the noise and have it remove only the noise..

from this noobs advice, don't over do it worrying about noise reduction.

Chances are your better off just trimming the clips as close as possible and "spot" fixing any place that the noise becomes obvious..

Only thing I could find about the head phone out put is the little scroll at the botton of the PMD661, and yet, still In my head phones i can on hear my reference audio if it is at a 4 or a 5 on my gain/level.

Also, I don't hear any distortion on my reference head phones when I reach the 0 and it say's "over"
very weird.

Also, I don't hear any distortion on my reference head phones when I reach the 0 and it say's "over".

In prosumer units like the PMD-661 there is a little additional headroom when you touch red so it won't distort. Be aware that professional units are far less forgiving, but, generally, you get much better levels and far superior sound with them, and by the time you can afford them you really know what you are doing.

who do you work for?

I own my own small audio post facility, Alcove Audio Productions. I'm a one-man shop. Besides audio post I sometimes work with singer/songwriters; Alcove started as a music studio.

I do freelance for other studios on occasion, although that has been few and far between the last couple of years with the down economy. Two places have shut down, others have drastically cut staff. More than the money I miss being able to work with and observe people with greater expertise than myself.

I own my own small audio post facility, Alcove Audio Productions. I'm a one-man shop. Besides audio post I sometimes work with singer/songwriters; Alcove started as a music studio.

I do freelance for other studios on occasion, although that has been few and far between the last couple of years with the down economy. Two places have shut down, others have drastically cut staff. More than the money I miss being able to work with and observe people with greater expertise than myself.

Bob you don't happen to be related to the guys who make Kessler cranes do you?

Back