Can someone sue you if they were originally a part of your movie idea?

I came up with an idea for a web series about 3-4 years ago. I told my friend from film school about the idea, and he said he would join me. We tried writing a script one time but we just ended up failing and watched a movie instead. I've brought it up that I want to try filming it again, and he was up for it. I brought it up to him a couple of months ago, and he said he would be down to try coming up with scripts and ideas again. But now I dont think working with him is a good idea. He likes different kinds of movies, and I dont like most of the movies that he likes. I also think that hes not a perfectionist like I am, and wouldn't be 100% focused on doing the best job as possible. If I were to go on without him and became successful, would he have any case against me if he were to sue me? I came up with the original idea, and no ideas or scripts have been written at all.

If you think there's a lawsuit coming, why not take care of it before anything can happen at all? Talk to him. Be diplomatic. You wanted to work with him for a reason, maybe there's a project in the future you can both work on. No point burning a bridge.

Ideas cannot be protected. If you two together didn't write anything
down there is nothing he can sue for. However, if you are successful
without him he still may sue - people do that all the time - but he
would have no case.

I like russellsoares's advice. Send him an e-mail saying that you are
going to pursue your series idea. Anything you write without him is
yours. When the script is finished register the copyright.

Short answer is "yes"

you can be sued for farting too loud on set, the question is can you defend your self from a suite that someone filed against you? It becomes a question of risk\cost. If the risk is low, and the cost to defend your self is low, then don't worry about it.

(EDIT: do seek a lawyer for accurate legal advice, mine is worth what you paid for it)

Last edited:
Assuming you're being accurate in what you've said, by the sound of it you're fine. All the ideas and concept came from you. You offered him to help, he's had his opportunity and it's clear by his actions (well lack thereof) that he has decided not to pursue that option.

And yes, you can get sued. You live in the land of the free. He's free to sue just as you're free to make your ideas come alive. It doesn't mean he'll have a snowballs chance in hell to win. To find out those odds, I'd consult a lawyer if I were you.

Back