PMD 661 problem

Not sure if it is a faulty unit, i really hope not. It started off fine and a little later when I started to mess around with it again I kept getting a choppy sound in my recordings, I have been messing with it for a for a few hours and still choppy.

Here is the catch though, i can't hear it when I listen to the uploaded version I put on my computer, the choppy sound just isn't there, could it be faulty head phones? (MDR 7506) or something else? another thing to note is this problem happened right after i experimented with the low cut on my mic (NTG2) I switched it on and have had the problem ever since, I switched it off and still have had the problem,
ls have been between -60 and -40. but even if that is the problem i have gotten two clean clips with no choppy sound and it was around -60 and -40.it

My Record set up is

Mic- D.mono
MP3-192 192KBps ( not sure what thouse are but have been messing with them since this has started and haven't had muc luck)

16bit/48KHZ

I am on a manual level count.

and also on a low cut,
It is also good to note that I have been plugging it into the wall since I have no batteries so batteries isn't the problem.

I am at a loss, my other Preset is almost the same but set only in Mono,

very confused

"Choppy" sound is a little vague. Can you upload a clip to SoundCloud?

It appears to be a monitoring issue, since you don't hear it on the recordings themselves once you've transferred to your computer. You need to go through everything one step at a time. Do you hear the problem with other headphones?

Have you tried running it on batteries and disconnecting it from the wall? You would be amazed at how often that is the problem. AC current can fluctuate wildly and, unless you are plugged into a quality power regulator, can often cause problems with professional audio and video equipment.

BTW, where did you get it? If you got if from B&H or another reputable vendor they should have some support available - and it's always best to report problems with a new unit ASAP so you have some "documentation" if you need to return/exchange it.

Not sure if it is a faulty unit, i really hope not. It started off fine and a little later when I started to mess around with it again I kept getting a choppy sound in my recordings, I have been messing with it for a for a few hours and still choppy.

Here is the catch though, i can't hear it when I listen to the uploaded version I put on my computer, the choppy sound just isn't there, could it be faulty head phones? (MDR 7506) or something else? another thing to note is this problem happened right after i experimented with the low cut on my mic (NTG2) I switched it on and have had the problem ever since, I switched it off and still have had the problem,
ls have been between -60 and -40. but even if that is the problem i have gotten two clean clips with no choppy sound and it was around -60 and -40.it

My Record set up is

Mic- D.mono
MP3-192 192KBps ( not sure what thouse are but have been messing with them since this has started and haven't had muc luck)

16bit/48KHZ

I am on a manual level count.

and also on a low cut,
It is also good to note that I have been plugging it into the wall since I have no batteries so batteries isn't the problem.

I am at a loss, my other Preset is almost the same but set only in Mono,

very confused

I'd like to ask why are you recording at 192kbps mp3 and 16bit anyway? These devices are capably of recording wav and 24bit. I would suggest that if you are trying to get good quality recording you are best to use those settings and then convert them to a lower rate later if you want to.

If the sound of your clips is ok when you upload to the computer, could it be your headphones cable is faulty, perhaps?
If you record using the internal mics in stereo is the choppiness still there?
Have you tried setting it to record in stereo with mics, and plugging 2 mics in, or even using only one mic so you have one blank channel. Try the mic in left channel. Is it choppy? Try it in the right channel...is it choppy?
In short, you want to figure out if it is a recording issue or a playback/listening issue. ie: headphone socket, outputs etc. If the actual files when copied to the computer are fine then it will be a playback issue rather than a recording one. If the files are choppy when in the computer as well, then it's a recording issue.

Back