Permits for Film Festivals?

Hi,

I am planning on submitting a film to a film festival, and I was wondering if it is necessary/required to submit all permits that I used while filming the production? Does it depend on the film festival?

Never.

The only person who I can imagine asking to see your permit would be city officials, the police, or your production insurance company if a claim is made.

Nobody outside of your lawyer, investor's lawyer, funding agency, or Errors and Omissions Insurer will ever ask to see your paperwork. Even then, they likely would never ask to see a permit once filming is completed. A permit is more to grant you access and establish your permission to be there.

There's a difference (I think) between a permit and a release form. A festival may ask to see release forms

Yes, there is a HUGE difference between the two. No reputable film festival would ask to see any of your paperwork. Part of your submission is warranting that you have secured all the appropriate permissions and copyrights to exhibit the film. If you haven't, then you run the risk of blacklisting yourself with the festival and any distributor who may be interested in your product as a result of the screening.

Back