Finding Fans

A lawyer working with me suggested I work on building a fan base.

I have an idea to start fan groups on facebook, google+, and linkedin.

Any other suggestions?

I think I should mention too that I analyze the demographic data of who views the MDMP Production Page on FB and who watches the trailers on YT.

Interesting shift. The original IC attracted 95% males from 18 to 48.

IC2 has 85% viewers being teenage girls.

This data is useful in knowing where to advertise to find new fans.

Last edited:
But do you think Star Trek ever got on TV if this horrible fightscene was the pilot to sell it?
I don't think Star Trek is popular thanks to this scene.
They 'got away with it' because they were already popular.

I think it's also a bad idea to compare shows from a totally different era to stuff you're producing now. When Star Trek aired the average viewer had a dozen channels or less to chose from, no home videos to watch, and no internet. It wasn't even a particularly successful show for it's time - that's why it was canceled after three seasons. But it's ratings, considered disappointing at the time, put it on par with American Idol because the audience is so fragmented now.

Audiences are more sophisticated now, have far more options to choose from to spend their free time watching, but have no more free time to spend than they ever did. You're competing against a much bigger pool of entertainment options. Your work needs to have something that makes it stand out to an audience amongst all the other choices they have.

And there's a difference between something like Star Trek and the Black Scorpion show you posted. Star Trek was low budget, and slightly campy, but that was largely because it was a product of it's time and not necessarily a deliberate thing. For a lot of fans that's a big part of it's appeal, it has an aspect of nostalgia to it that is rooted in the innocence and sincerity of a time when that fight scene was cool. Black Scorpion is clearly the opposite - the writers/producers are very aware that what they are making is low budget and campy, so they've chosen to up the camp factor quite a bit so the audience is laughing along with the show's creators rather than laughing at how bad the show is. If you're going to have bad effects, bad fight scenes, bad acting, etc like one of these shows I think that's the approach you have to take - you need to let the audience know (or at least think) that those are deliberate choices, rather than shortcomings, because audiences are much more sophisticated than they were 50 years ago.

Also, things have changed dramatically in just the last decade and even when Black Scorpion aired there were a lot less entertainment choices it had to compete with. There was no YouTube, no Netflix, most old tv shows weren't available on DVD, and most people still had analog cable with far less channels to choose from and no VOD. The fact that it's no longer available on DVD now shows that there's not enough demand for the show to justify spending time or money trying to sell it to an audience - which seems like it makes it a bad choice to emulate for your own projects if you're hoping to make them successful.

I'm on science fictions boards for writers and filmmakers. When I asked how many people are still fans of Star Trek, Space 1999, Babylon 5, and Battlestar Galactica, you may be surprised how many people are looking for something to fill that void.

What void? If you're a fan of those shows you can watch them just about any time you want, as many times as you want, as much as your schedule will allow. There's also been a resurgence of real quality tv shows being produced over the past decade, so there's plenty of new stuff to choose from in addition to watching your favorite old shows. There's no void people are looking to fill - quite the opposite now in fact, the hard part for a lot of people is trying to find enough time to watch everything they'd like to watch. So if you don't have something really unique which will make someone decide not to spend their time watching old favorites you're going to have a hard time finding an audience.

It's also worth noting that Star Trek was a failure when it first aired, getting cancelled well before it's 'six year mission' was complete. It really only found it's audience/popularity in re-runs/syndication.

I think it has never been said before because of a few different reasons. I do not want to discourage you, but your film doesn't seem very appealing to any audience at all.. It looks cheap, the story is weird, you have a few girls in latex costumes and one guy without a costume. All that combined with a cheap greenscreen. I really hope you can find fans, but the film has to be right, to attract viewers and buyers through marketing...

Oh, and 'The Flight of the Flamingo' which Nick is shooting is in production.. And it's looking very promising!

Sorry to be harsh, but after thousands of new threads I just had to say it!

That is just your opinion.

Two IT techs by day that I work with who saw the whole 22 minute production who are weekend and vacation time indie filmmakers are asking me to help them with special effects. There must be something there they liked. They gave me good advice and tips on editing one of the fight scenes. I can tell they know their stuff by their comments and suggestions.

There is a market for the show on networks like SyFy, IFC, and some other small cable networks that cannot afford their own studios. My crew believes the story will impress some network. So does the cast, after showing it to people they trust in the industry. What it does not have yet with production values, it makes up with a solid story that is deep like classical sci-fi.

The reality is you don't know or understand the television market.

Watch more TV series and stuff The Asylum puts out. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the 100% greenscreen tv series on SFy. You want cheap, you should have seen that. And yet, SyFy aired the series and not just the pilot. The Asylum airs new movies on SyFy every Saturday night. Rotten Tomatoes calls The Asylums movies on SyFy mockbusters.

Last edited:
At this point, I'm waiting on reviews from 2 sources on the production to be published.

There was a TV series made totally with greenscreen backgrounds on the SyFy networks maybe just 3 years ago that lasted one season.

As funding sources come in, the production values will go up.

The biggest mistake too many independent filmmaker make is to think big budget movie look. A much more realistic goal is a TV series look from popular shows and genres.

Why are Roger Coreman's New Concorse Productions that made Black Scorpion and The Asylum's movies good case studies for everyone here?

They are both much smaller than major TV studios. And, yet they provided content to SyFy, which is a small network even though now they are owned by Comcast.

To only look at content made from major TV studios is the wrong business model. Look at what smaller independent studios are making and learn from their success.

I've studied Roger Coreman's path for getting content sold to cable tv. It is doable.

I was just contacted by a television professional to show them more. He knows people close to me who can help with funding. This is from a TV professionals board I'm on.

So, I must be doing something right. Marketing the concept for the series.

Back