Question about sound format in Premiere Pro

I want to convert mono soundtracks to stereo soundtracks. However, on the Adobe Premiere Pro help site (http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/clips-channels-tracks.html) , it reads this:

"Use a mono clip as stereo

You may sometimes find it useful to use a mono audio clip as a stereo clip. Using the Modify Clip dialog box, you can apply a mono clip to a pair of left and right stereo channels.

In the Project panel, select a mono clip.
Choose Clip > Modify > Audio Channels.
In the Modify Clip dialog box, select Mono As Stereo, and then click OK.

Note:
You can apply the Modify Clip command to a mono clip only in the Project panel, before the clip appears in a Timeline panel. You can’t convert a clip instance to stereo when it’s used in a mono audio track."

I did what they said, and seletected the clip in the project panel before, applying it to the timeline. However, it still does not let you turn the track into a stereo one. The stereo is not a clickable option. Does anyone know the problem? Thanks.

Okay thanks. Actually I just realized that is not the problem. For some reason some of the sound effects, I got from someone else's sound library will not match the rest of the audio in my project. I thought maybe it was since the sound was mono, when I am mixing in stereo.

However, I notice now that the sound effects are at are at 96khz when the other sounds are 48khz. Is it possible to mix 96khz and 48khz together? Or to convert the 96khz tracks into 48? I don't want to reimport all the 96khz tracks and recut them cause that would a be lot of work. Can I just modify the 96khz tracks that are already present?

"Matching" is about selection and mixing, not about sample rates.

------------------

I personally don't understand how/why NLEs allow multiple audio formats, bit rates and sample rates to be present within a single session. In most DAWs you select the sample format (.BWAV, .WAV, AIF, etc.) you desire and select the bit/sample rate at which you want to work when you create the session. Once the session is open you import audio clips at the sessions sample rate or the audio clips must be converted when they are brought into the session.

Because Premiere Pro will not allow to me put a 48hkz file and a 96khz file in the same movie, So I have make the 96s all 48s somehow, since Premiere Pro only seems to accept one. At least I think that's the problem.

Audio programs that allow only one format/bit/sample rate for each project session automatically convert audio clips upon import or have a pop-up window that asks if you want convert. If you do not convert it is possible, in fact very likely, that the audio clip(s) will play at the wrong speed.

Perhaps this is why your audio clips don't match.

I was near on 100% sure that there was no such restriction of mixing differing sample rates within Premier Pro, so I grabbed some files, threw them together with various sample rates (192, 96, 48 and 44) and it works without a hitch.

It's either a case of user error or your dogged determination to use out of date software. If you're going to insist on using PP, you really need to update. You are insisting on sticking with old, out of date, potentially faulty software. CS5 or CS5.5 right?

I was near on 100% sure that there was no such restriction of mixing differing sample rates within Premier Pro, so I grabbed some files, threw them together with various sample rates (192, 96, 48 and 44) and it works without a hitch.

AFAIK, there is no restriction on mixing sample rates in PPro, which is a design flaw as far as I'm concerned! While mixing sample rates will probably work fine in many situations, it is very likely to cause issues with certain processing chains, when exporting to certain formats or a number of other scenarios. Like Alcove, I would strongly advise against mixing audio formats, audio sample rates or bit depths. If you ignore this advice, I guarantee at some stage it will jump up and bite you in the a$$!

G

Here's the problem... I have Premiere Pro CS5.5. The program will accept both 96khz, and 48khz. However, after I export, the media players on my computer, such as quicktime, windows media, and VLC, will not play back the footage, saying that it is incompatible. I am guessing this is because of the different sample rates in the tracks.

So I need to make everything 48khz. Even though Premiere Pro, will accept both while editing technically, it is unplayable, after exporting. So how do I make all the 96 tracks, into 48s, or what do I do to get Premiere Pro to accept it for a playable export? Sorry I should have been more specific, that the problem is, is that Premiere Pro makes it unacceptable for exporting particularly.

Last edited:
I guarantee at some stage it will jump up and bite you in the a$$!

Thank you for the advice. I will take this on board (knowing me, I may not follow, but at least I will have an idea on where to look for problems).

Sorry I should have been more specific, that the problem is

You think? This is a completely different issue to what you described.

I tested again on the latest version. No issues, though it wasn't a thorough test, I'm not putting together 96 tracks as you described into PP to test for you. The export worked as expected in both VLC and Quicktime. This leads me to believe it's either operator error or (as much as I hate to admit it) a but in the software, where you need to either upgrade or figure out whether you need a workaround or what specifically is causing the error (pulling out tracks one by one, exporting, testing and repeating until you find the problem).

The entire engine of PP works differently than it did in CS5.5. It's been rewritten, many bugs have been ironed out, particularly in the audio side of things. Even in the last 6 months the media encoding engine has gone through significant improvements. It's only recently turned into a reliable, stable platform... well... baring some hardware issues...

It's either a case of user error or your dogged determination to use out of date software. If you're going to insist on using PP, you really need to update. You are insisting on sticking with old, out of date, potentially faulty software. CS5 or CS5.5 right?

CS5.5 is not faulty.
I work with it daily without any problems.

I'm more curious about the hardware of H44 machine.

Back