Podcast Setup, 2 XLR's into Audio Interface?

Hi guys realise this isn't quite film but wondering if you clever audio people have tips for this. So I'm beginning a podcast, two mic setup likely to be Shure SM58's, I already own one XLR-to-USB cable which I think would work fine with the SM58's but I don't have them just yet, was about to buy another but then reading a lot of reviews that often the gain can be incredibly low?

The cable worked fine with my NTG2 but thats a condenser and I'm switching to two dynamic mic's in the SM58s. I just don't know whether it will work as well with the different mic type, and so I'm considering an audio interface if this is going to be an issue.

So my question to you is will an XLR-to-USB be OK for Shure SM58's, and just record separate inputs through Audacity. Or will I need an audio interface with two XLR inputs to handle properly the sound so that it is clear and the gain is enough.

Any advice you can give, massively appreciated before I waste money in the wrong things :D

USB is a protocol for transferring digital information whereas an SM58 outputs analogue information. However, an NTG2 also outputs analogue information so if your cable worked with an NTG2 it should also work with an SM58. I assume your internal sound card just uses a USB connector for analogue input? Obviously, your sound card would need two such USB analogue connectors if you want to use two SM58s. I also assume that your internal sound card also includes some sort of mic pre-amp, presumably controlled by the software? I'm not too aux fait with consumer sound cards, so I'm not sure of the answers to these questions.

I'm more aux fait with the mics themselves though. SM58s are cardioid pick-up pattern mics, not the more shotgun pick-up pattern of the NTG2. This means you will need to hold the SM58s relatively close to your mouth/s (a few inches or so) rather than the out of frame/shot style in which an NTG2 can be used. Trying to use an SM58 out of shot (like a shotgun type mic) will result in a low level recording with a lot of room acoustics, possibly to the point of the dialogue being difficult/impossible to comprehend.

G

USB is a protocol for transferring digital information whereas an SM58 outputs analogue information. However, an NTG2 also outputs analogue information so if your cable worked with an NTG2 it should also work with an SM58. I assume your internal sound card just uses a USB connector for analogue input? Obviously, your sound card would need two such USB analogue connectors if you want to use two SM58s. I also assume that your internal sound card also includes some sort of mic pre-amp, presumably controlled by the software? I'm not too aux fait with consumer sound cards, so I'm not sure of the answers to these questions.

I'm more aux fait with the mics themselves though. SM58s are cardioid pick-up pattern mics, not the more shotgun pick-up pattern of the NTG2. This means you will need to hold the SM58s relatively close to your mouth/s (a few inches or so) rather than the out of frame/shot style in which an NTG2 can be used. Trying to use an SM58 out of shot (like a shotgun type mic) will result in a low level recording with a lot of room acoustics, possibly to the point of the dialogue being difficult/impossible to comprehend.

G

I use a Mac Pro. As I said the XLR to USB worked perfectly fine with the NTG2, so I guess its safe to assume it will with SM58's also.

As I said it will be for a podcast thus the purpose of the dynamic mic's, I'm familiar with the base differences between dynamic and condenser mic's - its not for a filming project. I realise this is a filmmaking forum.

How are you going to use two (2) SM58s without a mixer/preamp? You may have some weird routing issues if you plug them into separate USB ports. So you may want to consider the PreSonus AudioBox ($100), Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 ($150), Steinberg UR22 ($150) or something similar. Even a basic interface/mixer will give you A LOT more control and better sound.

Back