• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What do you use to edit?

I was surprised not to find a thread like this, and there probably is one, but one that I couln't find so, sorry if im breaking a rule. :)
So what do you use to edit?
I personally use the Adobe Production Premium, CS5.5.
How bout' you?

I use Avid, FCP, and Premiere CS5 and its funny that even though all my education was on Avid and FCP with in 2 seconds of using Premiere it became my favorite editing program. It really is a nice editing programs that needs more respect.

I agree with you. I use Premiere and Sony Vegas. (Mainly Premiere, though.) I hate it when people say that you have to use FCP, because it's the industry standard. I've delivered all my features without it. Anyway, the tide of opinion seems to be changing, especially with the release of FCPX.

Here's an interesting read from a guy who authored a few of the "Final Cut For Dummies" books.

If you're a Final Cut editor contemplating making a change in the wake of Apple's FCPX roll-out, you're not alone. Here's one long-time Final Cut user who tried out Adobe Premiere CS5.5 on a paying gig. He found a lot to like, and not much to miss.

Like Avid, I knew that Adobe had been very busy over the last few years. For instance, in the time that Apple released only one upgrade to Final Cut (going from Final Cut Studio v2 to v3), Adobe released FOUR appreciable upgrades to Premiere (CS3, CS4, CS5 & CS5.5). And in between those releases, Adobe also issued smaller "point-something" updates which fixed bugs but also added functionality (support for RedCode, for AVC-Intra, OMF export. etc.)

Finally, taking a look at Premiere's latest feature set impressed me.

Full Article here.

CS5.5 all the way

FCP has been resting on it's laurels

Now that Premiere is accepting multiformat better and AE has color finesse integrated, you're set

But check out the lesser known "Assimilate Scratch" as a dedicated colorist platform, it has no equal. I'll be working with it on advanced grades from now on.

I used to use Sony Vegas until I switched to Mac.

Also I'm very surprised that iMovie hasn't popped up yet. I actually love it, it's a very user friendly program that lets me do quite a bit. Chroma key, more advanced effects, very nice looking text and transitions, it's not near as bad as its windows free built-in counterpart, Movie Maker. Anyway, I'm debating upgrading to FCE, iMovie is having trouble with some larger films.

I work with many different editing software packages. Avid, FCPS3, CS5.5 Production Suite, Sony Vegas, Premier elements, FCE. So I guess I am lucky. FCPS3 was my favorite until Apple started playing games and dragging their feet with 64 bit so I started learning CS5 (easy switch). I love it!! Now I use CS5.5 and love it even more. For the time being Adobe has it going on for current editors. I have to say FCPX sucks for most advance editors who like total control and rely on a complete editing system for a living, for this i really am not liking iApple right now. Even though they have shit on most professional editors, they are on to something that I feel will be the future. We have invested mega bucks in a total FCP system that is now totally useless with FCPX (we are keeping FCPS3). I know iApple will fix the problems in time but with CS5.5 there was no problem. I am staying with Adobe for now!!! ADOBE ROCKS!!!!!:cool:

Out of studio - Motion 4, FCP 7 (FCPx sucks MJ, OJ and Anthony)
In studio - All of CS5.5 Master Suit, FCP 7, Motion 4, 3DS max, AVID
For my other job - FCP 7 and on camera trim function.

Back