Sci-fi fests?

I have a sci-fi short I'm trying to put out there, but it seems there are far fewer sci-fi fests than I thought there would be. I've mostly done comedy in the past, so just assumed there'd be a ton of sci-fi fests. I've submitted to Miami Int'l and Boston and a few others. Do you know of any good ones to try and get into?

So how about a list of the sci-fi fest you have found. Narrow
it down for us. And maybe tell us your fee limit. That way
I can compare to my list and see what you may have missed.
I don't want to list ones you already have or ones that have
a fee that's too high for you.

I have a sci-fi film in post so I'm looking, too.

What's that one about, may I ask? :)

Your much more likely to get into a festival in places near your home town. Start local, let the organizers know you are willing to sit on a panel, take questions after the screening etc. At the small local level they really want filmmaker to show up to watch the screening of their films.

Toronto After Dark is well worth submitting to (on your list). The guy running it (Adam Lopez) is both a Trekkie and a Star Wars fan. Although his best is more horror based, he absolutely loves sci-fi.

It is a really superb festival as there are distributors, producers etc... in attendance. It is one of the few fests outside the 'top' ones where you can meet distributors and the occasional deal has been struck there in the past.

If you get into the next one, will see you there as will most likely have a little something in there in September. It is literally just a little something.

Hey there,

I help out with Shriekfest and have also sponsored awards for several years, and I would encourage you to apply. Although it takes place in Hollywood, we accept entries from all over the world and the budget level of the movies really does range from amateur to professional. Plus, since it's mostly horror-based, we are always looking for strong sci-fi submissions.

At the very least, please follow Shriekfest on Facebook and Twitter to learn more about the festival (taking place in October this year). And, if you get your entry in I think before May, you can get an early bird discount on the entry fee.

Good luck!

It's always good to see what others are doing. You could come up with new ideas, get a feel as to how audiences react to different things, and maybe make a few connections.

Back