• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Fcpx vs Premier vs Avid

Im halfway through a diploma in screen and media with a view at becoming an editor and am trying to work out which editing program would be the best to concentrate on, obviously a good understanding of all of them will help but as for the one to learn inside out I would like to know which one to study in. I have FCPX and it has some great features but apparently its not the industry standard that fcp 7 once was, I have adobe premier cc also and I have been looking at Avid but apparently they are on the verge of bankruptcy? Does anyone have any advice on which would be the wisest investment of my studies. The teacher is adept at fcp 7 but its unsupported now.
any advice greatly appreciated.:)

Hello symon, currently i use both FCPX and premiere. Personally i find Premiere much easier to work with. FCPX has been changed since FCP 7 alot and is more user friendly to the "non film maker" Although FCPX is classed as "industry standard", Premiere is something you should not look over. Adobe have some great other software such as After Effects and Photoshop to help your film making better. And as you stated, yes Avid is on their way out, stick to what you know.

Learn all three.

If you need to focus on one, make it Avid. Many will tell you that you can get by just fine learning only Premiere or FCP - and maybe you can if you want to be a lone freelance editor. But if you want to work for a post house, and certainly if you're serious about a career as a professional editor, you should learn Avid inside out before learning any others.

You should be able to use all of them, and you should be able to have such knowledge over all of them that if you were to be picked as a picture editor for a film, you know which one you want to use based on whether it's right for the production.

have used FCP7 extensively, Premiere CS6 is an upgrade. I've just downloaded X and am using it for the first time, seems pretty powerful so far, though a bit of a change aesthetically. We'll see how I like it as I go on. Really do like Premiere the most... Though I can't say I've ever messed with Avid

Premiere Pro is what I learnt on and have been using it since CS4. Its my main editing program and I use FXPX as a secondary program. Although I can use AMC and like it, I don't even have it installed on my machine.

Back