5 Minute Portrait Piece

Hey there,

I have been given an assignment, which is to do a 5 minute portrait. The focus is pretty heavily on "real," "emotional" and "personal." I had an interesting subject lined up, but that person has now not gotten back to me in 4 days and I really need to shoot it in the next few days, so formulating a plan B.

My idea is to focus on a flatmate's financial struggle this year, and the socio/political/economic issues around student financing, housing and employment where I live. I considered doing an interview with said flat mate, and juxtaposing that with a few on-the-street interviews representative of the typical dismissive attitude of the issue in the general population. I also considered making it kind of self-reflexive, drawing attention to the constructed nature of documentary making, for a bunch of ideologically wanky reasons I won't explain.

But I talked to my tutor about it, and he emphasised that it needs to be personal, to the point that subject is almost a backdrop to the exploration into the individual. And so the focus pretty much needs to be on the interview with the flatmate, with maybe a few supporting statements from friends and family.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of the talking head format. What are some ways to minimise the talking head-ness? I can obviously juxtapose certain images with what he's saying (e.g. when explaining how much our rent is, show a few images demonstrating how shitty our house is). But that only goes so far in making it a little less dull.

Any general ideas that could tie in and make the structure a bit more engaging?

My flatmate is also quite reserved, so I'm unsure if I'll get much of an emotional response from him. Are there any general techniques/sorts of questions I should be asking to provoke a more visceral and engaging response?

Last edited:
I may only be a soundie, but I'll chime in.

When it comes to interviews you can make them more visually interesting with lighting and/or multiple camera angles. Or an interesting location. Or even a walk and talk, which would require very nice lavs and wireless sets.

You can use lots of location footage or graphics or whatever during the interview.

Thanks for the suggestions alcove!

Yeah I have a few ideas for making the actual interview footage a little more visually interesting. I'm going for a multicam setup. I'd like to do a section walk and talk, but it's a "solo" project (don't get me started on how stupid I find this in a film class - but I guess it's an introduction paper) so I am unsure if I'll actually be able to get someone to boom for me. I certainly won't have access to lavs, and I certainly won't have anyone competent to boom walking and talking - it's a pretty much a make the best of what you've got assignment. They push the importance of drama and story telling, as the course becomes more gear heavy next year - so I guess that's the logic behind such limitations.

That said, for the interview, I'll likely be sticking a boom on a mic stand, and having two tripods for my cameras. I'll probably have to run them all by myself, unless I can rope a friend into helping me. Re: sound, is there any advice you can give to get somewhere near ok dialogue? The school is only supplying a DR-40, although I'll probably plug in my AT875r (although this may be a bad idea on a stand if he moves his head much?).

I am aware that this question is probably a painful one to read for a soundie

Last edited:
What you want to do - strictly from a sound perspective -

Stay as far away from walls as you can to avoid weird ambient bounces. For example, don't sit them in a chair in a corner.

Do what you can to tame the room sonically; sound blankets (whatever you can get that's "soft") and your positioning in the room. Even 10 inches can mean a lot sonically.

Get the interviewee comfortably situated; if they're comfortable they won't move around as much.

Give them one place to focus that will hold their attention; they won't turn their head as much.

As in narrative work, aim the mic at the notch at the base of the throat from above as tight as the framing allows. If your subject moves a lot you may have to back the mic off a bit; better a bit more room and more even pick-up. Remember the AT875 has a fairly tight polar pattern, so inches count; if the aimed mic is 14" away, and the subject turns their head 2" the sound will become noticeably off-axis.

For the rest you'll just have to wing it; that's what your knowledge base is for, so that you can adapt the above to a fluid situation.

Beforehand you check out the audio kit in every last detail. Set it up, test run it, put fresh batteries in, test run, break it down. Download the file into your EDL or DAW and audition it for previously unheard hums and buzzes.

There must be someone in your class you can help so (s)he can help you as well...

About making it personal:
have your subject do their routine or do what they love.
A portrait isn't only about what people say, but also about what people do.
You can shoot that seperately if you need or want to.

Forgive me if this doesn't fit the assignment, but could you do some sort of simple animation to illustrate some of his statements? You film/animate it in a way that implies what we see is coming from inside his head, thus fulfilling the 'personal' quota?

idk, just a thought. :)

Thank you AA! In regard the polar pattern of the At875, would it make more sense to use just the dr40 so the dialogue isn't noticeably off axis? I don't want my subject to be thinking about the film and his "performance" any more than I can help it. And is there anything i should look into in regard super basic post sound (in terms of cleaning it up, removing background sound)?

Walter: I probably can, though I'm not hugely sure I could trust them ) having worked in group projects, most barely understand the gear, and don't grasp the concept that simply holding a mic in the general direction of someone doesn't quite work. And swinging a boom non stop for minimum half an hour would be really difficult for obvious reasons. Plus if it was to be a walk and talk, it'd be very difficult to actually boom that effectively.

But the idea of looking at good routine is a nice one. It might be a little difficult to tie in thematically, and I'm wary of staging events (eg him looking at job classifieds).

Thanks for the idea Dready! If I together correctly This American Life uses similar techniques really effectively, so I'll give that a rewatch.

Thank you AA! In regard the polar pattern of the At875, would it make more sense to use just the dr40 so the dialogue isn't noticeably off axis? I don't want my subject to be thinking about the film and his "performance" any more than I can help it. And is there anything i should look into in regard super basic post sound (in terms of cleaning it up, removing background sound)?

Only if you can get the DR-40 fairly close to him. And point one of the two mics at the subject and the other at yourself (if you're conductinig the interview). You'll "fix" that it audio post.

Can you get your hands on a lav? Even a hardwired lav into the DR-40 will work fine if your subject is seated. (You may need adapters, of course.) Or can you get your hands on a cardioid of some kind? Cardioids are more forgiving of motion than a lobar/shotgun.

ppshotgun.jpg
patterns.gif

Are there any activities that your subject is passionate about doing you could intercut with? It can get cheesy but sometimes getting footage of people doing something they're really into can be nice filler and a good way to get shy interveiw-ees to show a more open side of themselves :)

Are there any activities that your subject is passionate about doing you could intercut with? It can get cheesy but sometimes getting footage of people doing something they're really into can be nice filler and a good way to get shy interveiw-ees to show a more open side of themselves :)
Mmkay. How does one do that without making said footage seem irrelevant?

Only if you can get the DR-40 fairly close to him. And point one of the two mics at the subject and the other at yourself (if you're conductinig the interview). You'll "fix" that it audio post.

Can you get your hands on a lav? Even a hardwired lav into the DR-40 will work fine if your subject is seated. (You may need adapters, of course.) Or can you get your hands on a cardioid of some kind? Cardioids are more forgiving of motion than a lobar/shotgun.
I won't be able to get access to lavs. They're giving us handycams to shoot on (i'm going to use my own camera), and when i asked if I could borrow some other gear, i was told no - the focus is on storytelling. Which I suppose makes sense for an introductory course.
I may be able to borrow a friend Cardioid, though, so I'll get in contact with him.

Back