Actor read throughs?

Hi guys, just wanted to get an opinion on having the actors read through a script from beginning to end not really doing too much acting to get an idea for pacing. I think it might be a good idea no? Kind of give an idea of what scenes work better then other in teh event cuts need to be made. Jesus Peace.

It can be very helpful. I'm not sure about in film but in TV and theatre, cold reads are pretty common. But ultimately it comes down to your preference. Give it a try and see if you find it helpful or a waste of time.

It's a great place to work out character. After the read through leave enough time so the actors can ask general questions regarding scenes, dialogue, character. You can accomplish a lot in just a few hours.

Read throughs are a great opportunity to get comfortable with your cast as well. For an actor its a chance to hear the lines read by other characters. It should improve chemistry between actors, make your set more comfortable and you will get confident actors who can make defined decisions in their performance. Better for everyone involved!

I always do a read through - and I do one (sometimes two) before
I cast the film. I'll gather a few actor friends, give the script to them
a few days before the read through and deliberately not tell them
what my intent is as the writer or the director. I learn a lot by listening
to their interpretation of the dialogue.

I have completely rewritten characters that didn't play well because
of what I heard at a read through.

After the movie is cast I like to do at least two full read throughs to
get ideas from the actors about the characters they are about play.
That, too, has been quite valuable to me as a writer and director.

My father is a professor of creative writing who focuses on screen and play writing. He suggested to me that I should get a group of people together and have them read through the script cold and that I should video and audio record it to make time and pacing notes. He also said that I should not be one of the readers and that I should, at all costs, keep my mouth shut during the first read through.

Back