actor wrangling

So I have this actor who likes to stay in character all day. It's a lead role so I'm thinking an actor like that might want to stay fairly isolated socially when the cameras aren't rolling. Generally, what are guidelines for allowing actors to prepare and focus on the performance? I wish I had cash for a trailer. Failing that, presumably it's good to give them some private space to use at their descretion?

The title of this thread kinda weirds me out. Based on this post, I can't tell if you're really aware of the extent to which acting will make or break your production.

Animals get wrangled. Actors get direction. Anyway...

You've got Kirk Lazarus in your cast? That sounds kinda fun. Or, maybe really annoying. I hope it works out for the best. But to answer your question, I don't think there is an answer to your question, other than what you and your cast decide, together.

I'd let him do whatever it is he needs to do. It's only a problem if he interferes with anyone else's job. And that includes you...if you're ready to go and he perpetually isn't, then it's potentially a problem.

Agreed, he's there to work. As long as it improves the performance and doesn't mess up other parts/positions on set then go for it.

As far as a "quiet place", if you can afford it a place away from the chaos or distractions of a set is great and will probably help the overall flow. If there isn't a place like that, then it shouldn't stop production. Again, everyone is there to work.

When people talk to him does he answer in character? That could be annoying!

Like the Seinfeld episode, where the character playing Elaine on the TV show of the TV show wanted to be called Elaine and freaked Jerry out. :lol:

Acting is hard. Whatever he needs to do (as long as it doesn't interfere with production), he should be allowed to do it.

Staying in character between takes is not so unheard of. I can't think of any examples off the top of my head but there are some great A-listers out there who have been known to do it.

He'd have to be really, really, really, REALLY good for me to put up with that bullshit.

Tuna fish? Fruit salad? Does it really make a difference?

Directors have to be peacekeepers and often-times care-takers/nurturers (not trying to say you're not, just trying to say that anything that an actor needs to do to prepare doesn't matter if it doesn't disrupt your set).

Last edited:
Pup tents are like $40 though right?

Hmmm... not necessarily...

tent-city.jpg

Too rustic? Suppose it depends where your actor/actress falls on the Diva Meter. :P

I just know myself well enough Dready to know that it would be completely impossible for me to not make fun of him constantly unless he was so good it forced me to periodically go into the porta-john and laugh hystericallly for 5 minutes to get it out of my system.

I imagine about the third time I said "Can you make sure you hit your mark this time Stanislavsky." He'd probably quit.

Well see there's a reason why it might disrupt production, then ;)

Seriously though, you're projects are quality enough for an actor to put up with some friendly jibes. At least I would (and I know you'd have some jibes for me). lol

Back