Lost in translation - A letter of presentation by a non-native writer.

This is a letter of presentation by an Italian student at University of Turin, Piedmont, northern Italy. Please, be aware that you could find grammar mistakes!

My name is Stefano and two years ago I fell in love with screenwriting. Since then, I have been reading scripts and books about screenwriting, and I have written a couple of scripts too, both in Italian and English.
The reasons that led me to read and write in English are basically two. Firstly, a deep fascination with the English language and its literature. But the second and most significant reason is that writing in English, so as to become an English screenwriter, could mean more job opportunities. But first, let's take one step back.

As you probably don't know, the Italian movie industry has nothing to do with the American one (nor the British one). Putting aside political corruption and several exceptions, among the major problems of the Italian movie industry, there's the fact that it is an inaccessible world with few investments and even fewer job opportunities. To sum up: same producers, same actors, same stories. As a result, same screenwriters and no space for new professionals. In Italy, building a career as a screenwriter is not a piece of cake (never said nor thought that abroad it's easier).

La-Dolce-Vita-1200x620.jpg

Facing the problems of our movie industry, I decided to begin my journey as an English writer by developing writing skills and improving my grammar competence.

Last year, I wondered if attending an MA in screenwriting (in the USA or in the United Kingdom) could help me to improve some technical aspects of screenwriting. By the way, I'm perfectly aware of the false myth surrounding the gurus of "how to write for the screen", and I believe that the ability to craft a story doesn't come just from a well-built structure, but from mastering the language.

Any non-native applicants must possess a language certificate to take a degree, so last month I took the IELTS exam (International English Language Testing System) and I passed it with an overall band score of 8.0 (9.0 is the highest band score). Now I have to create a portfolio (another requirement that applicants must possess).

I wish I can say "so far so good", but I can't. Surfing the Internet I have found lots of courses in screenwriting (both professional and universitarian courses) and I don't know what to do. Some of them seem awesome, others terrible. I don't know which master to choose. In this sense, I wish to know if somebody in this forum has ever attended an MA in screenwriting and/or which are the opinions about it if there are any.

To be frank, I'd love to know your opinions about my future plans. Is a good idea to go abroad? Which are the ideal places to study/work as a screenwriter?

Any comment, suggestion, and even grammar correction to this text will be appreciated.

Thank you to everybody!

Why not be the change you want to see?

I'm sure there are a lot of other people in your same shoes, try reaching out to them. Social media has made it plenty easy for people with likeminded interests to connect and come together. See about starting an indie club around your location, maybe you'll find a large group of individuals who are eager to meet one another.

While I feel for you I can't imagine the difficult road you face. It's so hard
for a native english speaking writer to make it – for someone working on
the language it must seem insurmountable.

By the way, I'm perfectly aware of the false myth surrounding the gurus of "how to write for the screen", and I believe that the ability to craft a story doesn't come just from a well-built structure, but from mastering the language.
I disagree. Good story structure is not a false myth. A well-built
story is essential to a great screenplay.

In this sense, I wish to know if somebody in this forum has ever attended an MA in screenwriting and/or which are the opinions about it if there are any.
Not me. I don't believe getting a degree in screenwriting helps
much. The "powers-that-be" are looking for a great story with
characters that will attract top actors. However, if you feel you
cannot write a script that can sell in UK or US then maybe
schooling is needed for you.

To be frank, I'd love to know your opinions about my future plans. Is a good idea to go abroad? Which are the ideal places to study/work as a screenwriter?
I have already answered this question in your other thread.
Did you see it?

Why not be the change you want to see?

I'm sure there are a lot of other people in your same shoes, try reaching out to them. Social media has made it plenty easy for people with likeminded interests to connect and come together. See about starting an indie club around your location, maybe you'll find a large group of individuals who are eager to meet one another.

I have recently attended an academic seminar about contemporary productions in Italy. Most filmmakers work as indies since there's not an actual industrial sector, and most of them are facing hard times. I don't want to martyr myself. Working in an international context could give me hundreds of opportunities.

I disagree. Good story structure is not a false myth. A well-built
story is essential to a great screenplay.

There's a huge debate about storytelling structures and I don't think this is the proper place to talk about it. However, I partially agree with you. A good story makes a great screenplay. :)

I have already answered this question in your other thread.
Did you see it?

I have seen your reply! Thanks ;)

Back