• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Mixed lighting temperature question

I should have posted this sooner because the music video I am directing is in... 7 hours, but any quick last minute advice might help!

I'm shooting the band's performance tonight inside a warehouse type building. It's way over lit, so I plan to turn the building lights off, and I rented a Diva Lite 400 (which has either 3200k bulbs or 5500k bulbs) which will be lighting the guys from the front, and borrowed 4 LED strips from a friend (4000k each) which will probably go in the shot near their music gear as part of the look.

Since the color temps don't match, which bulbs will give me a better look in your opinion? How should I go about white balancing on my blackmagic camera?

Last edited:
You're not going to get massive amounts of light from any of those fixtures, certainly not enough for a whole warehouse.

I'd suggest having a play on the day and seeing what works for you.

I might rig up the Kino above their heads (5500k), and surround them with the LEDs. Depends what you have access to for rigging..

Really just depends whether you want the musicians to be warmer or colder than whatever you're doing with the LEDs.
Only your idea about the aesthetic of the video will be able to guide you in that area.

I might rig up the Kino above their heads (5500k), and surround them with the LEDs. Depends what you have access to for rigging..

This is basically what I ended up doing. I couldn't rig the kino to the ceiling so I just extended the C stand really high, then had the LEDs on the floor shooting upward around them. It made for a cool effect, but you're right about it not being enough light. Luckily the warehouse had their lighting rigged on like 4 different switches throughout the room so I was able to switch one set of lights on that were far away, just to fill the space a little bit.

This is basically what I ended up doing. I couldn't rig the kino to the ceiling so I just extended the C stand really high, then had the LEDs on the floor shooting upward around them. It made for a cool effect, but you're right about it not being enough light. Luckily the warehouse had their lighting rigged on like 4 different switches throughout the room so I was able to switch one set of lights on that were far away, just to fill the space a little bit.

Yeah, you generally need some high power for warehouse spaces!

The lucky thing is that they often have 3-phase power, and higher-powered tungsten lights are generally pretty cheap to rent.

Anyway, sounds like you got some usable stuff which is great!

Back