Jobs On Set

Hey! I recently have been trying to find a film that needed help with anything and I have found some ads but the problem is, sense I have never had any expierience on set before I wondering if someone could inform me on the jobs of a set. The 4 that this specific guy needed was -2nd Assistant Camera-Key Grip-Grips-Production Assistants. I have found out some of these buts it's harder to find than I first thought. So can anyone tell me the jobs of a production and what they do. And also what the four I listed do.

-Frank

So can anyone tell me the jobs of a production and what they do. And also what the four I listed do.

-Frank
That's a HUGE, time consuming request. I'll list the jobs without detailing what
the job entails. You can look each one up.
PRE-PRODUCTION
Writer
Producer
Executive Producer
Associate Producer
Production Assistant
Casting Director
Production Coordinator
Production Manager
Casting Director
Location Scout
Prop Builder
Production Designer
Art Director
Set Designer
Set Construction Coordinator
Costume Designer/Coordinator
Wardrobe Buyer/Stylist Assistant
Storyboard Artist

PRODUCTION
Line Producer
First Assistant Director
Second Assistant Director
Second Second Assistant Director
Production Assistant
Director of Photography
Camera Operator
First Assistant Camera
Second Assistant Camera/Loader
Steadicam Operator
Stills Photographer
Stunt Coordinator
Location Manager
Script Supervisor
Set Decorator
Set Dresser
Swing Gang
Prop Master
Greensman
Armorer
Food Stylist
Gaffer
Electrician
Best Boy
Key Grip
Dolly Grip
Grip
Rigging Grip
Sound Recordist/Mixer
Boom Operator
Special Effects Coordinator
Pyrotechnician
Special Make-up Effects
Transportation Coordinator
Driver
Make-Up Artist
Hair Stylist
Wardrobe/Dresser
Animal Trainers
Caterer
Craft Service

POST PRODUCTION
Post Production Supervisor
Film Editor
Video Editor
Editing Assistant
Sound Supervisor
Dialogue Editor
Sound Effects
Sound Mixer
Foley Artist
Foley Recordist
ADR Recordist
ADR Editor
Composer
Arranger
Conductor
Musicians
Titles Designer
Negative Cutter
Publicist

PRODUCTION
Sound Recordist/Mixer - The formal title is Production Sound Mixer
Boom Operator

POST PRODUCTION
Sound Supervisor - Also called the Supervising Sound Editor
Dialogue Editor
Sound Effects Editor
Sound Mixer - The formal title is ReRecording Mixer. There are often two or three on "big" films.
Foley Artist
Foley Recordist
ADR Recordist
ADR Editor
Composer
Arranger
Conductor
Musicians

You can also add:

For Production:

Audio Assistant/Cable Wrangler

For Audio Post:

Foley Editor
Music Editor
Music Supervisor

And, of course, is the Sound Designer, which is different than the Supervising Sound Editor; it may or may not be the same person.

There are also lots of people who do strictly technical jobs, like maintaining the technology - software & hardware, etc. as well as software development.

I think Directorik means that there are a lot of jobs on set and explaining what they all do is a large task. In fact, there are books that only cover that topic.

After glancing at both lists, there are jobs (one of which is rather important - a publicist) that I noticed were missing from the list(s) and one or two others that aren't always needed, and a bunch of optional post production jobs etc.

I think the OP was only looking for a description of those 4 roles, since he found someone looking for them.

You're right, you did put in publicist, however you put them in post production, which in reality is the worst spot you can place them. They should be in it all the way from pre production. Also with the Line Producer.

I noticed that Prop Purchaser in pre production and compositor wasn't on the list. Then there are plenty of post production sfx specific roles that aren't listed. If you really care, I can take close look and flesh out some more, but I don't really see the use of a list like this as you can get so caught up in the nitty gritty with roles that aren't used that often.

I don't really see the use of a list like this as you can get so caught up in the nitty gritty with roles that aren't used that often.

Because five years from now, when someone has given up on being a director but still wants to work in the film/entertainment industry, there may a something that sounds fun, interesting and potentially profitable -and in which they may already have talent and experience.

As an example... You've been working as a carpenter during the week and on your film career during the weekends. The answer is obvious. Or you work in a salon cutting hair and doing make-up while searching for acting gigs.

You don't see many of these jobs of low/no/mini/micro budget shoots, and even if you land the occasional extra part on a well funded film you have little to no contact with them. It's nice to know that there are options.

Back