The Costs of Distribution and grant providers

I have until the 16th of May to turn in a grant proposal. All the questions are answered except the distribution one. I am being asked what my distribution costs are. I assume this has something to do with film prints, which I posted a thread for.

So, my questions are: What do people expect me to tell them about a distribution plan? This is the last thing that I have to answer and I am stumped. I can tell them that I intend to enter the film once completed into film festivals to get distribution attention (providing the film is lucky to get attention), but that is all I really know. What else should I be telling these providers?

And the next question is: About the film prints again; what is the average price per minute for video to film transfer for a print? From my research, it seems that the cost of a print is astronomical. How can any independent filmmaker afford $300 per minute if you have a feature length film?

Time is a-wastin' and I don't want to send this grant off with no info on distributiton, but this sucker goes off this week come he** or high water. I would hate to be turned down because of something like this.

Any advice would be welcomed... --spinner

Hmm... try putting "More than I can afford!" in the spot!
LOL
(hehe, I laugh at me)

I think (though I might be wrong) that it is more referring to the costs of making and distributing copies.. the grant is probably assuming that you have already got a distributer and he's given you a quote... I could be wrong though, but that's what I seem to think..
I would probably call a distributer and get a quote and example, and say you are currently awaiting pending distributer approval or something.. try and twist the words from:
"Well, if they see and like my film, they might distribute it"
TO
"Currently pending distributor approval"

Note all the big technical words in the second sentance. They mean business. If you sound like you know what you're doing, more often then not, you'll get what you need!
I wish I could help more, but to be honest, I'm still working on grants myself. Hopefully some bright knight of knowledge will come to the rescue... dang... this is a one for Clive, I'm sure!

Useless post, but hopefully somewhat amusing..

Thanks for the reply, Spatula. I guess I need to figure out how to schmooze some information out of distributors by no later than thursday. (you funny)

If anyone else has any suggestions, make 'em! I need all the help I can get. I intend to start this film without money, but I will need to be relatively sure some funding will be coming in to continue...

Thanks! --spinner (a dude-ette!)

Very few indie movie makers pay for their own prints and advertising. For an excellent video-to-film transfer $300 is low. And why would you want to do a less than perfect 35mm print?

Do the grant providers really expect you to cover all distribution costs? If they do, I can give you some broad numbers. But maybe they just want to know what your plans are.

Back