Naming your prodco

Hey guys, just want to ask you business owners how important it was for you to choose the name of your company. Some prodco's have very personal names that don't make sense to anyone else except the owners, and some have names that describe what they do. I've been waffling between a few choices and recently sent a casual survey to a bunch of people I know (most of which are producers or filmmakers), to see what they thought of my choices.

And now I feel more indecisive than ever!

It's like I've ruminated over this so much, I can't tell anymore what I like or why. Should I trust the top picks of 30 people? Should I invest more faith in the ones who are doing what I want to do? Should I choose my favorite out of the top three? Beyond the availability of the business name in my state, does it even matter? Ugh! How did you choose the name for your company? Have you ever wanted to change it, or are you happy with it? Or do you think it never affected anything in your business? Would love your feedback - thanks!

It depends on what your doing. If it's for film, then you really need to have one for each film you make (of a decent budget). This protects the film and assets connected to that film alone, and also makes it easy to sell.

indietalk, let me get this straight you need a Prod Company name for each film you make? That's a bit crazy don't you think?

I myself have a few names for Prod Comps that will specialize in certain areas of film. Like Nasty Nasty for horror, Laughing Mad Films for comedy, and The Tears for drama. Those are just some I just made up to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Hi, indie. Yes, I know about having an LLC (or whatever) for each film - and yes, Buck, that is the best way to protect your company because any suits that arise can only go so far. I intend to do that when my projects are a bit bigger or needing investors, but right now I wonder about the necessity for it. I'm talking about my "parent company." Just want to know how much I should be wrestling and worrying about my choice of business name.

Last edited:
Should I trust the top picks of 30 people?
No.
Should I invest more faith in the ones who are doing what I want to do?
No.
Should I choose my favorite out of the top three?
Yes.
Beyond the availability of the business name in my state, does it even matter?
Of course it matters. This is name of your business. You don't change it like you change shoes.
Ugh! How did you choose the name for your company? Have you ever wanted to change it, or are you happy with it? Or do you think it never affected anything in your business? Would love your feedback - thanks!
I've had four. Kind of.

The first was when I was in high school. Never registered - just
friends with a company name. We chose "Paragon". We knew how to
use a thesaurus.

My second was never registered. Just out of high school my friend
and I used a combination of our last names.

When that partnership dissolved I wanted to keep the acronym
because I liked the logo I had designed. So I rather quickly came
up with a word that started with a "C". That's how I came up with
the name of my first, official, prodCo name. I used it for ten
years going through several partners.

When I decided to incorporate my own company I just happened to
see an ad that used a term I thought would work as a company name.
So I used it.

I haven’t wanted to change it and I’m happy with it. The name of
my company has never affected anything in my business. No one has
ever told me they chose to work with me because they liked the
name and I’ve never heard that anyone has chosen not to work with
me because they didn’t like the name. Of course I wouldn’t really
know about that.

Are you thinking that the name of your company might affect your
business? Is that because some of your name choices are really
“out there”?

Is there one name that YOU really like? Regardless of what others
think?

Thanks for your response, directorik. I am beginning to wonder if I'm just using this issue as a way to procrastinate. But, here's what's been going on with me about my business name...

Basically, there was a name I had originally thought I would use when I was ready. It's got personal meaning to me, is a cute name, and is available as a business name in my state (NY). But I did a little googling around, and there are prodcos with that name in other states, and most of them are associated with children's stuff (like parties, theater group, a kiddie show, etc.). Since I don't intend to make media for kids, I wondered if that would be a natural association because it's kinda cute.

So, I started coming up with other names. My last name is not common, and lots of people mispronounce it, so I don't want to use that but it is similar to a word that has positive connotations. So I was going to use that word, which would look good juxtaposed near my very similar-sounding surname, and it's also available in NY -- but then I noticed a very similar name showing up in the end credits of a few movies - turns out there's a big production co. in Hollywood with that word in its name. If I were in a completely different industry, I wouldn't care, but what if I get some visibility and they ask me not to use the name? Don't want to take that risk.

So, I tossed around a few other names but couldn't make a decision. Some of them commemorate favorite stuff of mine, some are a play on words. One is a name that I was really drawn to, but two people very close to me didn't like it, which bummed me out.

I thought about marketing and branding, so I sent around my survey (using surveymonkey.com) with all these names as choices, to see what kind of impression people got - and 30 people took it. I was hoping it would help me choose. I gave everyone eight names to choose from (I separated the main first part of the name from the second part, like Productions, Media, Films, etc.), and they could pick one to three favorites.

That name that my loved ones weren't crazy about was actually in the lead for a long time, and the top pick of two producers whose judgment I value. I was happy about that. The only two names that beat that one were my last name, which I don't want to use, and the name that I mentioned earlier that is similar to a big Hollywood company. Some of the results surprised me - one name which I thought would be a top pick, came in last with only one vote. The name I had originally liked, which I am afraid would be associated with kids, came in second to last, so that suggests that it doesn't seem to be very appealing to people.

But then some names that I just kind of threw in on a whim got votes and I'm wondering about using one of them, even though they kind of came out as being in the middle of the choices. These would be names that are just personal likes, and don't have anything to do with filmmaking or media production, like (to use real-life examples) Deedle-Dee Productions or Plum Pictures. But they're interesting.

The choice that came in third (the one that two producers like) is a good one, and I came up with a great "motto" and imagery to go with it, but I just don't know anymore. It's like I've overthought the issue and still can't make a decision - I had hoped my survey would give me an idea of the impact a name would have. But my head is spinning now. When I asked, "does it really even matter?" I was feeling like all this mental processing I'm doing might be just a way to procrastinate, and postpone getting my biz off the ground -- plus I know lots of people who are very casual about business names, and they might say "just put your name on it, and get on with it."

Suggestions on how to analyze the survey, use the info, or make my choice are welcome. Maybe I should just write them all down on scraps of paper, put them in a container, pull one out, and let the universe decide!

Last edited:
Maybe I should just write them all down on scraps of paper, put them in a container, pull one out, and let the universe decide!
Okay, I just did that and the weirdest thing happened - I put all names into a medium size shopping bag with plenty of room to shake things up. I reached in three times (having shaken the bag vigorously after each) and pulled out the same name each time! It's the name that came in first in my survey! The name that is similar to the Hollywood company - what is the universe trying to tell me? LOL.

So, I tossed around a few other names but couldn't make a decision. Some of them commemorate favorite stuff of mine, some are a play on words. One is a name that I was really drawn to, but two people very close to me didn't like it, which bummed me out.
Go with this one.

Back