• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Home-depot lighting, is it viable?

Given the amount of equipment I'm having to purchase this coming summer, I don't actually have the 1000+ dollars to shell out for a professional light kit, like the Lowell lights you can pick up.

I was curious if just picking up the self-standing flood work-lights from home depot could accomplish the same thing? Digital doesn't require the lighting that actual film does, so theoretically this looks like it would accomplish the same thing as thousand dollar professional lights.

Has anyone shot any semi-professional work with just store bought lights, like this? I'd be anxious to see your results, or any feedback you had on it.

Cheaper yet is to just make sure you have enough distance between your light sources and the diffusion material. Too many folks think you can go budget and then use the budget materials just like the expensive specialty equipment.

Remember, fire bad.. especially on a tight budget, you don't want to go having to pay to replace someone's home or business if you burn it down or cause extensive smoke damage.

I personally have not had much luck with cheap home depot lights. The quality of light just isn't the same, and yeah, the control is an issue too.

I agree with previous posts, lighting is about look, not simply registering an image.

Back