Want to start shooting low budget films - Where do I start?

Hi, I've just recently started a TAFE course studying film and television and am wanting to start filming my own low budget films. I don't have a camera as of yet but I am planning on getting one. I can't pick between a DSLR and a camcorder. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thank you! :)

Hi, I've just recently started a TAFE course studying film and television and am wanting to start filming my own low budget films. I don't have a camera as of yet but I am planning on getting one. I can't pick between a DSLR and a camcorder. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thank you! :)
Get a DSLR. The Canon Rebel is fine so is the Nikon D3200. You'll need
camera support (shoulder mount and tripod), audio (recorder and mic)
and lights so start saving money now. It will be several months before
you can shoot a low budget film as you build the needed equipment.

And just ignore the rest of what I have to say...

You're just starting. Use what you have. Cracker Funk is correct,
you have a camera on your phone; use it! You have editing software on
your PC; use it! Make one short film a month for the next six months using
your phone and Windows Movie Maker. Better yet find someone in your
film and television who already has a camera. Offer to help them make their
own low budget film in exchange for them helping you make your low budget
films. That way you will have 12 low budget short films under your belt by
January 2017. Imagine how much more knowledgeable you will be at the
first of the year with that much experience.

Then buy your DSLR and get serious.

Low budget or micro budget? Wiki showed me there's a difference and myself is a micro budget kind of guy. I gotta deal for a 3-month used Nikon D3200 off of craigslist with the stock lens but I'm waiting for to be able to buy a 50mm f1.8 lens. I shot a practice film. It's in the viewing section under experimental. Shoot with your phone and research, research, research on all things that will bring your visions to life. Filming is too expensive to be racking up stuff you don't need. Once you get your DSLR look up YouTube videos for tips of how to use your camera that the manual doesn't teach.

I wanted to take a course on cinematography at Miami Dade but you can learn a lot of stuff you need to know online or in a book. Study screenwriting. That's where most of your time will be spent because if you're writing your own shoot scripts, you'll save time filming and editing.

Back