Helicopter at my house!

Don't know if anyone else will be impressed by this, but I sure was...

Earlier today I heard the sound of a helicopter flying really low. Suddenly, my whole house started to shake. I ran to the window in time to see a Coast Guard MH-60 "Jayhawk" touch down in the baseball field directly across the street!

Turns out they're doing a show-and-tell for the kids in the nearby elementary school. I went over and grabbed a shot (the brown house in the photo is mine).

What does this have to do with film? Well, oddly enough, my new action-thriller script employs this exact aircraft! As far as I know, they've never landed one here before, and this house has been in my family since it was built in 1940.

As a matter of interest, this is the same aircraft as its cousin, the famous "Blackhawk", except fitted for search-and-rescue instead of combat missions.

:cool:

405029_3725581576299_1178696337_33588935_283176142_n.jpg

Actually, the air station is just a couple miles from my house, so I can film them pretty much any time I want.

I worked on a Discovery Channel series called "Search and Rescue" many years ago. They strapped me into a harness and I leaned out over the edge of a cliff to shoot one of these helos hovering below me over the ocean. It was pretty wild.

Back