Hello from Australia :)

Hi!

I've been enjoying reading some of the discussions on here! I'm Charlotte i started directing when i was 17 and i lucked out by getting a 3k government grant to make my first short film. My mum had to sign my contract! The film i made went on to screen at a few festivals and i won a few cool awards including one from "St Kilda FF" (which is an important one in Australia). And that gave me the confidence and insight to begin my film life! Ever since i've been completely obsessed. I'm now 20 and in my third year of film school and to date i've made 9 short films and music videos. Most of them are terrible and have been burnt but some i am very proud of. But i enjoy making mistakes, it's the best way to learn.

My latest short film is called, "How to Be More Average". So far it's been shortlisted for Tropfest (but didn't make the final 16 unfortunately), received 5 nominations at a local festival and i just found out it will be showing at the "National Film Festival For Talented Youth" which i believe is in Seattle. So hopefully our luck continues.

Well i think that's a good summary of where i'm at. I hope i didn't sound like a wanker, we tend to have an aversion to sounding like we're proud of what we do in Australia. :lol:

I look forward to speaking with everyone more in the forums!

Oh and PS: This is my website and film company (if you can call it that) http://www.mangofandango.net

Hey Charlotte...welcome. You sound like quite the filmmaker! I bet a lot of people would like to hear more about the grant writing process.

Cheers!

Hey Charlotte...welcome. You sound like quite the filmmaker! I bet a lot of people would like to hear more about the grant writing process.

Cheers!

Hi Zazacast, glad to be here!

I would love to discuss grant writing more, is there a good forum for it? I wonder if the process is different in Australia than in other places. That would be interesting to know. It would be a good topic :)

Welcome, but keep your "gubment cheeze" to your self, I pay my OWN way.

Just teasing you... :)

FYI: "Gubment Cheeze" is very US cultural idiom, do you have "gubment cheeze" down under?

Welcome, but keep your "gubment cheeze" to your self, I pay my OWN way.

Just teasing you... :)

FYI: "Gubment Cheeze" is very US cultural idiom, do you have "gubment cheeze" down under?

Haha i have no idea what Gubment Cheeze is! I looked it up in Urban Dictionary, so now i know.

We don't have that saying or an equivalent in Australia, especially in the film industry. Probably since our whole industry runs on government grants... we don't really have many independent studios... actually i can't think of any. FAIL industry.

Hey MangoFan, I'm also in Australia! What kind of grant was it that you recieved? Was it through Screen Australia or a local state funding body?

Back