Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Pre-Production

Old 04-04-2014, 03:25 PM   #16
gorillaonabike
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcguill View Post
Sounds like a great idea I'd be happy to help out with post sound and/or music.
Mike has some fantastic skills in these departments. I have a short in a pretty decent festival, partly thanks to Mike's outstanding score.
gorillaonabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 04-04-2014, 05:06 PM   #17
rayw
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChimpPhobiaFilms View Post
Oh, I'm not going to speak for him, but I have a feeling that Rayw might be able to give a hand with marketing, or at least giving advice or assisting whoever takes the role if not him.
If I had any actual experience marketing a film I'd be all over this opportunity.
However, I honestly don't know how to effectively spend any marketing time and effort or budget.

I know that a film needs to be marketed, I know MOST "distributors" are only hosting distributors meaning it's all up to the filmmaker/producers, and the best I can come with is just common sense working the social media routes + use all the clever SEO tricks you got in your bag + make more than a few local rag outreaches + when the film is done lump the screener in front of every nickel & dime online reviewer that'll give you the time of day.

With a purchase/contact ratio of 1/1,000 and all that effort above hitting the eyeballs of maybe one to three hundred thousand potential customers, which sounds great, that's still a rip roaring hundred to three hundred DVD or digital download sales via your very own createspace account.

Oo-ah.

That's all I got.
Seriously.

I'm pretty sure a legit film needs something a bit more industrial strength for a proper marketing campaign.
And I'm straight up telling you guys - I don't know how to provide industrial strength or even mom&pop kitchen grade marketing.

With respect to the project and my IT friends I'll spectate a learn by watching what you guys do.

P.S. - You BTS extras will be more valuable in sales than the feature itself.
Plan accordingly.

EDIT #2 - And I strongly advise you consider a franchisable product since the first film, no matter, how under the radar you try to be (contradictory to all of your marketing efforts!) It'll get ripped off and torrented within days. DAYS.
Basically, this first film should be a big ad for the next film.

Last edited by rayw; 04-04-2014 at 07:11 PM.
rayw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:37 PM   #18
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

marketing begins with genre and subject matter
sfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:23 PM   #19
jax_rox
IndieTalk Moderator

I'm another 'strong maybe'

I'd love to be involved in shooting some stuff, but will have to see if I can fit it in to my schedule. Might be able to tack onto the back of another shoot and use the equipment and a few of the crew.

Otherwise I'll have a DSLR and one female with me as we travel across the US in May/June
jax_rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:29 PM   #20
cheeseandachallenge
Basic - Premiere Expired

Hey I'm pretty down for something like this.

Location 1) I have access to a female actor and a male (who's not a strong actor-he's a friend who's good for an amateur-but he can take direction passably as long as the role isn't too demanding). My girlfriend is involved in theatre (she's the female actor), so if need be I can get more actors through her (though it'd be easier to keep it simple). All these actors would be passable for ages 16-25 (depending how I dress them).
Locations: a bunch of shitty student flats and appartments (amongst my friends and I), some pretty beaches, train station, ferry terminal, a city centre and everything tha comes with that, in New Zealand it's really easy to get permission for this stuff), some "bush" like areas, typical suburbs (but not modern looking-houses built from about the 60s in varying conditions), a university (so this gives me access to lecture rooms, class rooms, bathrooms, labs, etc).

Location 2) I also, if needbe, can potentially visit my parents, who live in a smaller (quite pretty) town. Really nice beaches and hills and parks and stuff. Their house is also a lot nicer than mine. In my home town I have access to a couple of male and female actors who are 60-80. One of these is quite big in theatre, so he can also potentially help find others.

As for sound, I /might/ be able to borrow some sound gear from my Uni, but I don't have any experience to operate.

There are a lot of mights and maybes through my post; I can make these things happen, for the most part, it's just they're a lot of hassle and involve calling in favours. If the production needs it, I can do it, but it is preferable to keep it simple (of course).

Also I'll give another vote to Mike. He did my post sound on my last short and he was pretty damn great.
cheeseandachallenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:16 PM   #21
rayw
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoster View Post
marketing begins with genre and subject matter
+1

It really does.

At another forum I post at I reviewed some data from just six months ago and was surprised at the change.

(Data is from the-numbers.com)

That's quite an industry drop, across the board.
Hope it's seasonal.
Can't wait to see what the YoY changes are.

Last edited by rayw; 04-04-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:36 AM   #22
AudioPostExpert
Basic - Premiere Expired

I'm like NickClapper in that I've been part of this online community for quite some time and would at some stage like to contribute and help out on a community project. Ideally I would like to take the roles of Supervising Sound Editor/Sound Designer and Re-Recording Mixer. However, the first role particularly is very time consuming and it's difficult for me to give a definite commitment. Even only taking the role of Re-Recording Mixer is likely to be a tricky job, due to the variation of equipment/styles/abilities of the different filming units. Having said this, unless I'm working on a particularly high pressure project (which is unfortunately quite common), I might/should be able to squeeze in the role of at least Re-Recording Mixer.

I'm sorry that I can't definitely commit to either role at this stage and would completely understand if NickClapper/the community decides that makes me unsuitable/ineligible to take part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayw View Post
If I had any actual experience marketing a film I'd be all over this opportunity.
With so many different actors, directors, styles and equipment it's going to be at least doubly difficult to create a cohesive, engaging and particularly good short film, both aesthetically and technically. This does NOT mean that if involved I wouldn't be giving this project my best efforts (my professional pride would not allow anything else) but it does mean that regardless of your actual practical experience Ray, I for one would like to see you "give it a go" and put all the knowledge you've built up and shared with this community to practical use! If you don't achieve as much as you hope it's not the end of the world but you would have gained some practical experience of marketing and of being part of a filmmaking team, which is valuable in it's own right. If it worries you, maybe you could work with/under someone else, if there's anyone with more practical experience who volunteers.

G
AudioPostExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:44 AM   #23
NickClapper
Basic - Premiere Expired

Good to see so many 'Maybes'! As I said in the original post, as long as you can work it out in the next couple of weeks, then I don't need a firm commitment until then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_hatter View Post
Do you have any idea what you plan to write yet? A genre even?
I have a few ideas circling around, but nothing fixed.

As for genre, I want to keep this as simple as possible. I'm going to steer away from fantasy/sci-fi and head for something which I believe anyone can achieve, and where we'll be able to adequately match the footage.

But by all means throw out suggestions and ideas. I think this project will only come to fruition if I'm relatively dictatorial about the final script, but I'm certainly open to suggestions (in fact, I've already been sent some, which is great!) at this point. I will try and write something that is to most people's tastes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayw View Post
However, I honestly don't know how to effectively spend any marketing time and effort or budget.
There won't be a marketing budget! When I talk about marketing, I'm talking about putting together a possible promo pack, sending out some press releases to film sites, looking for festival fee waivers...etc.

I thought it might be a fun opportunity to try some practical no-budget marketing and see whether any important lessons can be learnt.

As APE says, this movie won't be perfect - that's just the nature of the beast - we just want to play to its niche/USP of being created across the globe via an internet forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioPostExpert View Post
I'm like NickClapper in that I've been part of this online community for quite some time and would at some stage like to contribute and help out on a community project. Ideally I would like to take the roles of Supervising Sound Editor/Sound Designer and Re-Recording Mixer. However, the first role particularly is very time consuming and it's difficult for me to give a definite commitment. Even only taking the role of Re-Recording Mixer is likely to be a tricky job, due to the variation of equipment/styles/abilities of the different filming units. Having said this, unless I'm working on a particularly high pressure project (which is unfortunately quite common), I might/should be able to squeeze in the role of at least Re-Recording Mixer.
Hopefully we'll have some other sound guys onboard and maybe you could liaise with them and project manage parts if you don't have the time to work on it yourself?
NickClapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:59 PM   #24
cheeseandachallenge
Basic - Premiere Expired

Maybe someone should document this process? I feel it could be interesting to watch a project, as unique and ambitious as this come together from the ground up.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:21 PM   #25
ChimpPhobiaFilms
Account Disabled

Good idea C&C.

Perhaps it could be turned into a filmmaking doc, following everyone on their journey of making a film. I'd be willing to assemble and edit that.
ChimpPhobiaFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:31 PM   #26
cheeseandachallenge
Basic - Premiere Expired

How would you do it? Interview people through the process?

I'd help if I could, though my schedule is pretty inconsistent, so whether I'd be available regularly enough is another question (I can commit to shooting of the narrative, as long as I'm given enough time to plan and free a date or two up)

Last edited by cheeseandachallenge; 04-05-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:05 PM   #27
ChimpPhobiaFilms
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseandachallenge View Post
How would you do it? Interview people through the process?
I mean everyone could bring together BTS footage, and one of us could edit it together (and I was saying I'd be very willing to).
ChimpPhobiaFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:02 PM   #28
rayw
Basic Member

Okay, I'll give this a circumspect consider and will balance my real life time constraints against the agreed upon project when something tangible jells.

Oh, and I sh!t you not - the BTS, interviews, and DVD extras are more valuable than the film itself.

Also, my 2 on constructing a multinational film project is to consider a story like 'Contagion' where there are a lot of isolated characters in contact with the real world and each other via news media, phone, and internet.
Very little face to face among groups of characters - since that'd be cost prohibitively impractical.
Just an idea.

As far as genres go: the cheapest SciFi to make are clone and time travel stories, the cheapest horror stories are ghost stories.
Thrillers, especially crime thrillers, also market well. Something like 'Snatch' might be good.
Action and adventure are gonna cost too much, but if you insist - gun fights are cheaper than fist fights.
For the love of God, don't waste time on a drama.
And don't waste non-existant budget on period pieces and super-set building.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:58 PM   #29
Alcove Audio
Basic - Premiere Expired

You can put me down as a MAYBE.
Alcove Audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:02 AM   #30
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

sfoster is offline   Reply With Quote