• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Will these screenplays be rejected?

I read that, if you're a beginner screenplay, you shouldn't write sci-fi screenplays, because they might be too expensive to make and they will be rejected. What is the truth about this idea? If someone submits a first screenplay and it's very "large"(eg: contains scenes on different planets, many weapons, futuristic buildings, lots of characters), will it be automatically rejected or does it depend on its quality, and if it's good, people will accept it?

I read that, if you're a beginner screenplay, you shouldn't write sci-fi screenplays, because they might be too expensive to make and they will be rejected. What is the truth about this idea? If someone submits a first screenplay and it's very "large"(eg: contains scenes on different planets, many weapons, futuristic buildings, lots of characters), will it be automatically rejected or does it depend on its quality, and if it's good, people will accept it?

Well.... the went with Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets... and that screenplay had issues. I liked the movie's world, the aliens and effects........the casting might be part of the blame.

I think Valerian is an unclear example. Because "they" didn't go with it, the
movie was financed and made by the writer/director/producer who was not
a beginning writer. In that case there was not "they"; the script wasn't
submitted and they liked it enough to make it. That was the passion project
of an established writer, director and producer.
In general this is correct. It is rare that a beginning writer has the connections
needed to get an expensive Sci-Fi script into the right hands. Most beginning
writers will write for low budget, independent filmmakers taking time to build
their reputation and their contacts.

That doesn't mean the script will be automatically rejected. It means it's a long
shot. If the screenplay is very good and very marketable and the beginning writer
can get it to the right people it will not be rejected just because the writer is a
beginner.

You've been working on this idea of a big Sci-Fi screenplay for a while, haven't
you? Is it finished?

If you are willing to accept honest feedback then I'd be willing to read
your very best script.

Bouncing off of Feutus Lapdance's mention of Valerian; have you ever
seen Besson's first feature? He wrote a very inexpensive Sci-Fi script.
Not a perfect example because he produced and directed it but it shows
that a beginning writer CAN write low budget Sci-Fi. So it's not the genre
that holds back the potential sale, it's the expense of the project.

Last edited:
If you are willing to accept honest feedback then I'd be willing to read
your very best script.

Bouncing off of Feutus Lapdance's mention of Valerian; have you ever
seen Besson's first feature? He wrote a very inexpensive Sci-Fi script.
Not a perfect example because he produced and directed it but it shows
that a beginning writer CAN write low budget Sci-Fi. So it's not the genre
that holds back the potential sale, it's the expense of the project.
Woow! Thank you for your most generous offer! I am just a beginner, so I don't think I have a best screenplay:(
Please let me know(private message) how to send it... Thank you again for this and for your helpful replies here!

thumbs-up-ammo-guns-29.jpg

I want to read your best. Something you have passion for. Something
that shows your writing at its best. But only if you are ready for my
honest opinion.
I've send the screenplay to you, one of the that I am especially fond of. It's my latest screenplay(so it might be different than my first attempt- I deleted that one, it was that bad), but I don't consider myself an expert, so...:) I am passionate about writing, so there is joy and passion I feel everytime I write a screenplay...:)

Tell that to Jorge Lucas...

Another not so good example. THX 1138 was very low budget.

victortiti is asking about a big budget script. Anyone have any
examples of a beginning writer (one who hasn't sold a script)
whose first sale was a big budget (eg: contains scenes on
different planets, many weapons, futuristic buildings, lots of
characters) Sci-Fi script?

"In Hollywood, he’d been pitching scripts for movies filled with special effects — the type that require “a $150 million budget,” he said. He was called presumptuous. So once he got home, he decided to go for something more bare-boned."
His is a great success story!

THX 1138 was his first movie....it flopt....

I'm talking of course about the first star wars. The fact that it wasn't his first screenplay doesn't mean anything. He wasn't known and everyone rejected the star wars because it was a very expensive scifi movie. Actually everyone believed that scifi movies are for kids! But he gave a huge fight and won. Watch his story. George Lucas and his star wars is the best example for victortiti89 question. The final answer is, come on... of course it will be selected, but according to George Lucas story, that doesn't mean a shit...

I'm talking of course about the first star wars. The fact that it wasn't his first screenplay doesn't mean anything. He wasn't known
In 1973 (2 years before he sold Star Wars) he was an Academy
Award nominated writer and director who made the third highest
grossing movie of 1973. I’d say that means he was known. He
only sold Star Wars because he was known

American Graffiti's profit is amazing. Wiki says "The film had cost only $1.27 million to produce and market, but yielded worldwide box office gross revenues of more than $55 million."

He
only sold Star Wars because he was known

I guess you don't know the story behind how he soled it. The way he managed finally to convince the producers to make it a movie and the fact that he created all the weird effects by his own shows that he didn't soled it because he was known of course!

Back