Film Development Question; Newbie w/ ZERO film experience

I am not sure if I've put this question into the right forum section, but I wanted to use this as a sounding board and brainstorm with the other forum members who have more experience than me in filmmaking, and see if I can get some ideas on how to proceed with going about making my film a reality.

First off, let me lay out some facts for you about myself. I have a few challenges (as you probably had guessed). The main ones are: I have zero money, much less any money to make a film with; also, I have an idea of how I want the film to look, as an "end product", but have NO idea how to make it happen. I am an *absolute* beginner, and have never held a movie camera in my life, other than a Super 8 that didn't work that belonged to someone else. LOL I have many other ideas for films in my head, but with no knowledge of how to *make* them, no money, and no training (as well as friends and family that aren't aware of my aspirations and who likely would not be supportive anyway), there haven't been any avenues to make them a reality either.

Without sharing the details of the idea of the film (I am secretive due to wanting to avoid the idea being used by others) basically I want to make a film of something happening that I have an idea of. The problem is, I feel like I can't write a script for it (which in this case would be all direction, no dialogue), because I want to film the occurrence as it's happening. I want there to be certain shots of what is happening, but the problem is: how can I get a shot of something if I'm filming spontaneous action? There wouldn't be any way I knew the action was about to occur, therefore I couldn't get the shot I want on it.

So I guess ultimately, the dilemma (and question) is: how do I reconcile together, and find a happy medium for, the shots I want in the film and its "overall look", and the spontaneous life-as-it-happens nature of what I'll be filming? What methods would I use and so on? Ideas?

friends and family that aren't aware of my aspirations and who likely would not be supportive anyway

You need to stand on the roof of your house and proclaim your love for film through a megaphone for all the town to hear, if you expect anyone to help with your film.

This is the first thing you need to get in order. You don't make films in a vacuum.

You need to stand on the roof of your house and proclaim your love for film through a megaphone for all the town to hear, if you expect anyone to help with your film.

This is the first thing you need to get in order. You don't make films in a vacuum.

Thank you for the advice. I expect they will figure it out anyways because eventually they're gonna notice I'm up to something, when (and if) I make the film and I will have to tell them then! LOL!

Btw, I emailed Gary Sinise today on his Gary Sinise Foundation website; does that count for getting help for my film? LOL! I'm serious! I did!

I figured he is an actor, and he might somehow share my vision, and be able to be a "consultant" in some way.

Of course I did so with a LOT of trepidation, figuring there's a better chance than not that when he finds out I have ZERO experience in the world of film (if my communications even *get* that far), that he will either get pissed at me for wasting his time, or go "what the f***? Be gone with you!" LOL

There are lots of good books to point you in the right direction. Start there; build your knowledge base, learn which questions to ask.

From the sound perspective, I recommend the following books:

Sound Design: The Expressive Power of Music, Voice and Sound Effects in Cinema - David Sonnenschein
The Location Sound Bible - Ric Viers
Dialog Editing - John Purcell
The Foley Grail - Vanessa Ament
The Sound Effects Bible - Ric Viers

When you have no money you have to build up other types of credit.

Work for free (or, if you're lucky, you'll get gas money) on every low/no/mini/micro budget project you can. Learn by doing and learn from observation; sometimes the negative lessons are more important than the positive lessons. You'll be working with like-minded people. You're also building up the reputation that you're reliable, that you work hard and that you're easy to get along with (despite your quirks - hey we're "entertainment" folks; we've ALL got quirks!). Having built up this reputation you have "credit" you can cash in when you're ready to start your secretive project.

There are lots of good books to point you in the right direction. Start there; build your knowledge base, learn which questions to ask.

From the sound perspective, I recommend the following books:

Sound Design: The Expressive Power of Music, Voice and Sound Effects in Cinema - David Sonnenschein
The Location Sound Bible - Ric Viers
Dialog Editing - John Purcell
The Foley Grail - Vanessa Ament
The Sound Effects Bible - Ric Viers

When you have no money you have to build up other types of credit.

Work for free (or, if you're lucky, you'll get gas money) on every low/no/mini/micro budget project you can. Learn by doing and learn from observation; sometimes the negative lessons are more important than the positive lessons. You'll be working with like-minded people. You're also building up the reputation that you're reliable, that you work hard and that you're easy to get along with (despite your quirks - hey we're "entertainment" folks; we've ALL got quirks!). Having built up this reputation you have "credit" you can cash in when you're ready to start your secretive project.

Thanks so much for the tips! I will check out those books! I am seeing that I have WAY too big plans for right now and I have to start at the very bottom; my dreams for the film were way too advanced! :(

First, let me recommend to you this FREE publication: http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=48874

:rolleyes: + :lol:

Moving onto #2:
First off, let me lay out some facts for you about myself. I have a few challenges (as you probably had guessed). The main ones are: I have zero money, much less any money to make a film with;

Look applicable?:
20120423FilmmakerWannabeNube.png

Okay, now moving onto #3:
So I guess ultimately, the dilemma (and question) is: how do I reconcile together, and find a happy medium for, the shots I want in the film and its "overall look", and the spontaneous life-as-it-happens nature of what I'll be filming? What methods would I use and so on? Ideas?
Consider that while filmmaking is not brain surgery or even auto mechanics, there is a respectable amount of knowledge that a person is going to have to acquire before making a product.
Filmmaking is more complex than buying a boxed board game of Hasbro's, reading the instructions, then playing a game.
Nah, it's closer to brain surgery. :lol:

Despite having no money, get a cr@p camera, a tripod, and learn how to use a free video editing program (referred to as an NLE), and start practicing.

It's kinda like sex. You can't just wander around the park or the mall, find the prettiest woman after fifteen minutes of searching, and just run up to her and doink her, get instant babies, and call yourself a father.
Umm... no.

Practice.
Don't start off with your big tamale. You keep that to yourself, big boy.

Make a few shorts.
A few $0 shorts.
There's no magic money for anyone.
And everyone's making films, so there's no magic theater that's going to show your film. And Lionsgate/Anchor Bay/Magnolia/Magnet/IFC isn't going to come banging down your door for your epileptic shaky cam found-footage of minors wearing fake mustaches wielding plastic guns storming Mom's kitchen on a cookie raid.

Here, this video looked pretty decent: http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=48907
Didn't cost a ridiculous amount to make.
Fairly simple production.
Try something like that.

Otherwise, it'll be Troma-bait.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AHLjjZbIKw

... or...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRUm0ZBl868
:lol:

H3ll, I shot this on my cr@p cellphone camera:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItD7KveY0-M

Last edited:
Back