• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Background change

Hello people of the internet!

I have this idea for a shot. It goes like this: some guy is outside, sitting. He is filmed from the front in a slight angle in a medium shot; you see his face and a bit below his shoulders (and some of the background, of course: the park).

Then the camera turns in a direction circular around this guy. The frame stays the same (I mean it's still only his head and shoulders in the frame, the camera doesn't move vertically).
When the shot starts filming the back of his head and shoulders, he is sitting somewhere else, a doctors office. I want the background to change. I want it to look smoothly like the office of the doctor is directly linked to the park. I've seen this before ion films, but can't come up with examples...

Is there a name for this tecnique? Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to do this or can you explain?
I have After Effects and can work a bit with it. (I do my editing in Premiere pro 2.0).

I appreciate your reactions!

You may want to look at a film called Jerry and Tom with Joe Mantegna and Sam Rockwell. It has a couple of unusual scene transitions. May not be exactly what you are looking for, but it was the first one that came to mind. Look around the hour mark at the theater scene. There are bunch of different ones throughout it though. You can get it on netflix if you have that.

They actually built a wall of either the incoming or outgoing set on the location of the set they were transferring to or from.

Obviously, that is pretty ambitious. You can accomplish the same thing with a green screen with less hassle I would think. Main issue will be setting up the crossover point so you can hide the seam of the new background.

It also happens in a Fast and Furious movie I think, one of the early ones. It's a car movie anyway :P
The guy starts in I think a police office then Dolly's to his face then out again and he is at a airport or something, just for another example for you

You could set up a circular dolly around the subject in each location. Get your settings straight and make sure that you have the distance/height exactly the same. Make one complete 360 degree circle around the subject with a very deep depth of field. Repeat with a narrow DoF that leaves only the subject in focus. Do these two setups at each location making certain that you dolly at the same speed for each and every one. When you edit, you can start with the deep DoF shot as you dolly around the subject. When you get to 75-90 degrees you blend to the the shallow DoF shot from the same location. From 90-105 degrees blend to the shallow DoF shot from the next location. At 105 degrees blend into the deep DoF shot from the new location. This will give you the feeling of motion blur as you rotate into the next location and help hide the transition.

Best of luck.

Thanks. I'm really somewhere with these replies. It's just an idea, but i'm afraid i'm not there yet with my film-knowledge. But i'm gonna keep it in mind and work on it... maybe over a couple of months, years... :)

Back