Getting people involved in your project before it’s funded?

I intend on making a no budget feature film. I’ve got a script and have people willing to donate things (Food, locations, and cars being used in the shoot). Aside from begging, I plan on trying to crowdfund (which also counts as begging), is it bad to start getting crew together before the launch of my campaign?

Please share your wisdom and personal experiences.
Thank you

Just an opinion, but I think is very important to work and make some money before starting a production. An independent project needs leadership too, not only interested people. And the best way to begin to exert this leadership is having financial resources to invest. You have to be the first one to give yourself for the project if you want another people doing that, and I believe it happens when you make your money and give this money to the production. People will respect you as a mentor and a feeder of this project, and it is important when creating a good team.

I think it's irresponsible to crowd fund without your entire cast and crew in place, aside from maybe a few PA's and extras. What if people give towards your project expecting a perk (like a DVD) and then you can't get a crew together or actually produce the film? Get all your ducks in a row. Cast, crew, locations, schedule, etc THEN launch a crowdfunding campaign. Not only will people feel a little more secure in your preproduction, but you'll have an entire cast and crew to help promote the film.

The place to start investing is with your own money. It doesn't take a lot in relative terms.

The first thing you need to do is get your production all set up - shooting script, story boards, tentative locations, tentative schedule, cost analysis, etc. Having all of these things in hand shows that you are serious about the project. Being thoroughly prepared and organized definitely attracts more qualified people to low/no/mini/micro budget projects.

Do you watch lots - and I mean LOTS - of low/no/mini/micro budget indie films? You should, especially those that are produced in your area. "Film A" had a pretty weak story, and the acting was only fair, but it looked great - potential DP. "Film B," "Film C" and "Film D," didn't have much going for them except for some very solid actors - potential cast. "Film E" sounded great - potential production and/or post sound. Etc. Check them out with the people who worked with them. "Bill" may be a great actor, but according to the director he was a real PITA to work with. "Carol" was always prepared, on time, and had some great ideas for her character. "Don" took a while to get going, but was worth the effort. Contact the folks you like and find out if they are interested. Send them a script and a breakdown; a solid script and the professional business presentation will definitely peak their interest. Meet them for drinks or whatever, infect them with your enthusiasm and professional demeanor, check them out for their attitude.

Once your core cast and crew are tentatively selected get them all together for a very loose preproduction meeting. Have a really nice spread ready for them. Check them all out again, see if there's chemistry and enthusiasm. Make adjustments if needed. Firm up the cast and crew (maybe another meeting) and start your crowd funding. You now have resumés and head shots to add to your script and business plan. These are added attractions to potential "investors."

You've probably spent a one or two hundred bucks on drinks and the spread at your meeting(s). BTW, that nice spread shows that you really want to take care of them.

I worked with a really good producer on quite a few projects. She put together really solid production and post teams, and the actors were usually quite good. A LOT of time went into preproduction. Everything was thrashed out in detail with the entire core cast and department heads during these preproduction meetings. Everyone was allowed input on the script. The food and drink were always abundant and excellent. The only money anyone ever received was travel expenses, but it was paid in cash for every meeting and at the end of every days shoot. She put together a real team where everyone felt involved and important to the project. And I thoroughly enjoyed every project I worked on which she produced, because it was always fun, and because everyone else was someone worth networking with.

One more person you need to find is a line producer or 1st AD or whatever you want to call him/her. S/he will be your creative, emotional and business/technical backstop, plus being the "bad guy" when it comes to "landing" on people for being late or whatever. This allows you to stay on positive terms with them so you can get their best work.

So that's where and how you should start, at least IMHO.

The place to start investing is with your own money. It doesn't take a lot in relative terms.

The first thing you need to do is get your production all set up - shooting script, story boards, tentative locations, tentative schedule, cost analysis, etc. Having all of these things in hand shows that you are serious about the project. Being thoroughly prepared and organized definitely attracts more qualified people to low/no/mini/micro budget projects.

I agree, Alcove. When I said I think it's important make some money before start the production, I was starting from the point where you have all this things about the movie. To make a film, you have to know this film. Have to know every single detail about it. It's the basic of basics, in my opinion.

I just think that an empty pocket sounds terrible to most people. Why someone have zero cash? That's probably because nobody hires his job, nobody trusts in his work. I'm not saying it's a fact, but it's what the unconscious of people feel about a no money man. It conveys a feeling of unsecurity. When you have resources to cover at least the first demands, you print a secure image for the team.

Plenty of good info here but I might also add that crowdfunding is super difficult and you'll need to have an established portfolio of high quality work and people who like/respect you in order to stand a chance at it.

I don't think that people should crowdfund their first project, simply because you really don't know what you're capable of if you haven't tried your hand at something smaller first.

Back