Would you lie to your fans?

What did you find so bad about it maz? I get that you may not like the idea of the resurrection at all, but it surely can't be the worst thing you've ever seen on TV?

I know it's not yet been released, but do we know if this happens in the book, or have the TV producers just gone ahead with this off their own backs? If it does happen in the book, does that change your opinion of it maz?

The whole thing from the moment they return to Castle Black at the end was dreadful. The way Davos, a down-to-Earth, sensible man, visits the Red Woman and asks about resurrection without any mention of it at all beforehand - totally out of character. No thought given to the consequences, or even how the simple "thieves and farm hands" of the Night's Watch might react to a resurrected Lord Commander. Prior to that scene, Tormund was suggesting building a pyre (a sensible reaction), but then normally sensible Davos is asking about the most unnatural thing imaginable as though he wanted her to replace a light bulb.

The scene was nothing but the clunkiest bit of exposition to finally make happen what everyone knew would happen anyway - and then the way the actual resurrection was done was ridiculously cliched. From the "oh no, it's failed!" moment to the shot of him gasping for breath - so staggeringly unoriginal, so visually and dramatically obvious for a show that normally has interesting takes on events. It really did seem to me like the whole thing was intended to generate headlines between seasons, and they thought "now we're into season 6, we've got five minutes to kill in episode 2, we'd better quickly bring him back to life.".

I've argued this opinion elsewhere, and people have justified resurrection on the basis that it's in the books (apparently), or that there is precedent mentioned from a non-major character earlier in the series. But when you bring back a major character, you cheapen every major dramatic death of a major character up to this point.

I've watched a lot of TV shows, and have never seen a scene so cynical, lazy and obvious as this one. As I mentioned last year, the showrunners know they can get away with it because the character involved is so inexplicably popular - so it was widely described as an incredible scene and a punch-the-air moment. Horrid.

Rant over :)

Lets be honest with ourselves guys Maz hated that scene before it was even filmed.
I don't think any execution of the concept would have pleased him.

Maz, just be glad that melissandre doesn't get weak and stumble every time she performs magic.
God that shit annoys me lol. Even LOTR does it. Every god damn wizard struggles to remain standing when their spell is done.

I personally don't think it cheapens other deaths. I think it's going to be a major plot point that they're working with melissandre are working together now, it will effect the series until the end.

Also like i said at the top of the page, death by fire is the purest death.
No one that burns is going to be resurrected.

This Character's resurrection actually ENHANCES earlier character deaths IMO, it enhances the death of everyone they've burned at the stake.

Last edited:
Lets be honest with ourselves guys Maz hated that scene before it was even filmed.
I don't think any execution of the concept would have pleased him.

Nonsense. I can think of many better ways of executing the scene that would have been consistent with the general high level of the show. In such a case I would be happy to say it was done well even if I don't agree that the concept of resurrecting a main character is a good one.

Sadly, it was done appallingly.

Davos should've said to her

'You said you saw Jon in the flames. You saw victory in a great battle in the snow. Is there no magic make that happen? Does he have to stay dead?"

But I still liked the scene. I was excited when davos went to M for help.
I wanted them to bring him back and they did.

It's so much more interesting now to see what will happen next.
Honestly though with the spoilers, everyone knows who we are talking about lol.

Of course, we don't know what happens next, but I'm expecting Jon to become somewhat villainous. At the end of Season 5, I actually expected him to return as a White Walker.

Sure, if his resurrection was done just as fan service, perhaps that's a little bit lame. But I honestly don't believe that to be the case.

Also, I personally don't believe it cheapens the other deaths. The fact that he's the first major character to have been resurrected is actually a strong plot point for the character. Especially if it doesn't go to plan and the resurrected Jon Snow is different to the Jon Snow everybody loved.

INTEND is a powerful word.

"We do not intend to bring that character back."

"We had not intended not to bring that character back, but......."

Back