I'm gonna make a tiny-budget movie that will be seen by many. Any objectors?

When I say "tiny-budget", I'm talking maybe $20K max. I plan for it to be every bit as entertaining as anything else you might see at the multiplex.

There's no deadline. I'm taking my time with this one to make sure it's done right. That being said, it's rather ambitious, and I'm scared about whether or not we'll be able to pull it off.

It's nice to feel scared again. Haven't felt that way in a while. I think that's all the proof I need that this project is going to work.

Anybody wanna scare me some more? I welcome it!

Thanks, Nick! It's been a joy working with you, and I'm sure we'll do so again in the future (besides the current project).

It's too early for self-promotion on this project (prob won't enter production for at least 18 months). I'm honestly just hoping to stir up some drama to get more traffic to IT. There's a particular somebody I wanna square off against. And though many may not like the drama, well, it does get views.

And we might also discuss some relevant subjects. :D

I'm gonna make a tiny-budget movie that will be seen by many. I'm talking maybe $20K max.

It's refreshing to see a post like this, instead of the mind-boringly stupid posts of "I've never made a thing in my life. How do I raise a million bucks to make my film."

I'm curious about the "Seen by many". It's not my strong point, I'd love to learn more.

it's rather ambitious

That's a bad thing? It could be fresh.

somebody I wanna square off against

Makes me wonder if it's me /wink

we might also discuss some relevant subjects

Blasphemy. lol

Haha. Hey Sweetie! Nope, I ain't trying to square off against you. Unless you want to quash people's dreams.

What do I mean "seen by many"? Everybody. Multiplexes. Fuck it, let's dream big. I don't think it unreasonable to do so. :D

Haha. Hey Sweetie! Nope, I ain't trying to square off against you. Unless you want to quash people's dreams.

I don't want to, though it seems I'd have a talent for dream crushing... That's a little more than quash right? ...but only for those with a lack of realism.

What do I mean "seen by many"? Everybody. Multiplexes. Fuck it, let's dream big. I don't think it unreasonable to do so. :D

Distribution is an area where I've put a lot of time into focusing on so I'd like to believe I have a little clue though no real direct experience in this area. I don't want to crush dreams so I'll say, I'm all ears to hear how you do it.

Dang, he didn't take the bait, haha! I unsuccessfully tried to troll someone who has been prone to shutting down ambitious ideas.

My failed attempt at positive-trolling was intended to say that yes, you can conquer that mountain! I know it looks insurmountable, but you just gotta put one foot in front of the other.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got a foot to put out. :)

Distribution is an area where I've put a lot of time into focusing on so I'd like to believe I have a little clue though no real direct experience in this area. I don't want to crush dreams so I'll say, I'm all ears to hear how you do it.

There's no crushing this particular dream. My next feature is gonna be badass, a real crowd-pleaser, I fucking gaurantee. :D

The real question is how do WE do it? You wanna ride this train? All aboard! I could definitely use someone who has done research into how distribution works.

I wish you the best of luck!!

I'm going to earn a million dollars from a short film, together we'll bring real prestige to the indie community here. :lol:

You can do it Cracker! I'm trying to put together funding for my new project, also around $20k. It can definitely be done, but I expect getting it out in front of viewers will be a challenge. My intention is to try to fill a niche that's currently not really being served at all. It's an uphill battle, but I'm excited to tackle it! :)

The real question is how do WE do it?

It's very much the same answer to film financing. It isn't sexy. It's a boring equation of risk mitigation. If you're looking at a wide release to get lots of eyeballs, you need to answer this question: "Why is spending $30+mil distributing your film a good investment for me/my company." For those starting out, it usually becomes a stalemate with the chicken/egg paradox with no win/win.

Self distribution then becomes your only option to have any chance to recoup the investment, which more often than not is a suckers game.

The cheat sheet answer: A list talent attachments. There are very few exceptions. That does of course depend on your definition of lots of eyeballs.

You wanna ride this train? I could definitely use someone who has done research into how distribution works.

I'm happy to answer questions you have to the best of my knowledge, as potentially faulty as it is but that's about as far as I'll go. I have my own journey I want to travel and it doesn't involve a 2+ year detour distributing someone elses film.

I do know someone who's in the first steps of starting a tiny boutique distributing firm. I haven't spoken to her in about a month. She has some different views that may work. Perhaps when you're both more sorted, I can introduce you two and you can work out if you're a good fit.

In the mean time, perhaps look for a "Producers Rep".

Here's all you need to know about how distribution works: someone else pays for it.

Firstly, you only need a crowd-pleaser and to take the festival-route. Crowd-pleaser, in this case, being a movie that gives a festival a good reputation. People attending it because they've heard that this movie will be there. That can be done for $20K when the concept and execution have greatness in them.

I'm going to earn a million dollars from a short film, together we'll bring real prestige to the indie community here. :lol:

There it is! The first of the ridicule, haha. I'm surprised I didn't get a talking-down to. :P

Sweetie, I'll take you up on the offer of introducing me to anyone you think might be able to help. Thanks! But yeah, as I mentioned, I'm not even in pre-production yet, so it's a little early to talk distribution. And of course, I wish the best for you on your journey. Lemme know if there's anything I can do to help.

SinEater, I think you and I might have similar thoughts rolling through our heads right now. For folks in our shoes, it's not just a difficulty getting a movie made. It's not just a challenge to make it great. The real challenge is getting it seen. Since we ain't got no advertising dollars, we gotta get creative.

I've basically already begun marketing my film, and I'm only getting warmed up. I've got a website - spoileralert-none.com. Currently, the readership is limited to basically my mom and a few friends, but when I've got more content, I'll start promoting it hardcore. There will soon be a youtube channel linked to that website. I've begun practicing public performances on the Link (Seattle's subway). I plan to join a band.

All of these things are designed to get me some eyeballs, so that when "Rage of the Fire" is ready for release, it'll have a built-in audience. Synergy. I don't know if this plan will work, but that's the plan. Most important detail is that the movie is going to KICK ASS!!! :yes:

Now, instead of making this thread about my movie, let's talk about each others' movies. What strategies can one follow to become the next Lena Dunham? SinEater, what are you doing, right now, to gain an audience for your film? Anybody else wanna share their strategies?

We can do this!

There it is! The first of the ridicule, haha. I'm surprised I didn't get a talking-down to.

He's being serious. If you have doubts, take a look at his thread.

it's a little early to talk distribution

More often than not, it's already too late if you're in pre-production. Most of the damaging decisions have normally already been done. Distribution talks are often done during the development stage. Obviously this is only for the films that want distribution. We're not talking films that are happy to roll the dice after they're made.

This of course assumes you did development before pre-production.

It's all moot anyway. The woman I'd introduce you to won't be ready for a while. While/if she sets up. If it works.

the readership is limited to basically my mom and a few friends

Gotta get a cat. It'll increase readership by one ;)

it'll have a built-in audience.
gain an audience for your film?

Sounds like you've worked out step 1. Now it's time for step 2.

Step 1: Identify your audience.
Step 2: Tell them... in a way THEY want to be told.

Dayyyyaaammnnnn! Thanks for that, Sweetie! That post was very insightful and you gave me lots of stuff to think about. I hadn't even considered the possibility that maybe I need to start talking to distributors while in preproduction.

The real challenge is getting it seen.
That's it.

I see over 30 films a year at festivals. Add shorts to that and the
number is over 100. I've seen many really great movies than never
see any distribution - it's disheartening. We now have so many
platforms to show our movies but that means so does the audience.
So they have become much more choosy. Even a "sale" to Netflix
doesn't mean it will be seen.

It's sad but I am more frustrated today than I was when I first signed
up here on indietalk. Getting a movie made and with truly top of the
line tech specs is so much easier now. Getting it seen is more difficult
than ever.

I wish I had some strategies to share. In 2014 I worked on a Western
with Kurt Russell - Kurt-friggen-Russell - that only saw a 5 print release
in the States. For one week. Did pretty good on DVD/Blu-ray.

I, too, am gearing up for a production. Right now no distribution strategies
in place other than talking to people I already know. They love the logline.
That doesn't mean much. I'll share what I can as we move forward.

Good journey, CF!

Back