Ughh, Everyone is a Filmmaker!

I've heard cynics say this phrase, as if to say that being a filmmaker is no longer a special thing. I've heard pessimists say this phrase, as evidence of the impending doom of their profession. I've never heard anyone say it with joy. Maybe that's because it's not true.

http://bigthink.com/videos/why-everyone-is-not-a-filmmaker

I 100% agree with Burns' sentiments here. Pressing record does not a filmmaker make.

But wouldn't it be grand if everyone were actually a filmmaker? Do we love this art or not? The art will only blossom by the inclusion of more people.

Oh, you think it's already accessible to everybody? You think that, why, because DSLR's can be purchased for less than $1,000? Wow, they're so affordable.

Unless you're a high-school drop-out, raising a child, working at Walmart. That DSLR ain't looking so affordable anymore is it?

As much as most of the people on this forum rejoice in how much technology has become within our reach, we need to recognize the fact that what we take for granted is simply not possible for most people. What is easy for you and I is not easy for others. What is difficult for you and I is almost impossible for others.

What will happen when the less-than-privileged find a way to make their voices be heard? What will happen when the nation's poor start speaking for themselves, on a national stage? Filmmaking is a powerful tool.

Throw a pebble into the middle of a pond, the ripples will be felt on all shores.

The Revolution will not be televised, but it will be on YouTube.

I can't wait for the day when I can proudly proclaim, fists clenched in the air, Yes, Everyone is a Filmmaker!

Last edited:
Unless you're a high-school drop-out, raising a child, working at Walmart. That DSLR ain't looking so affordable anymore is it?

Oh boohoo, cry me a river. A friend of mine in Africa had to save up ALL his money from his high paying job, mooch off his family and friends for over 3 months to be able pay for his Canon 7D. There's always others who have it worse off.

If you're a filmmaker, you'll find a way.

The Revolution will not be televised, but it will be on YouTube.

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/chart-of-the-day-youtube-videos-by-views-2009-5?r=US&IR=T

On average you'll earn in the area of $2 per thousand views. Is it really a revolution when half the films made earn less than $1 and only 1 in 300 are fortunate to earn $2k or more. Viva la revolution!

Oh boohoo, cry me a river. A friend of mine in Africa had to save up ALL his money from his high paying job, mooch off his family and friends for over 3 months to be able pay for his Canon 7D. There's always others who have it worse off.

If you're a filmmaker, you'll find a way.

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/chart-of-the-day-youtube-videos-by-views-2009-5?r=US&IR=T

On average you'll earn in the area of $2 per thousand views. Is it really a revolution when half the films made earn less than $1 and only 1 in 300 are fortunate to earn $2k or more. Viva la revolution!

Cultural Revolution does not require monetary pay-off. And anyone wanting to take part in The Revolution does not need a Canon 7D. When did I cry you anything? I'm telling you that there is a worldwide cultural Revolution. It's already begun.

There will always be filmmakers above the rest. The trouble is getting noticed and even filmmakers who get noticed can barely make a living. But I do agree that its easier for people to create art even if nobody sees it. Usually people just make their film and they're the only ones watching. We've become a self obsessed culture of filmmakers who only have time to watch their own films.

There seems to be a lot of confusion with being a filmmaker and getting paid. I am not interested in making movies for the money. I want to make movies simply because I have a desire to create.

That doesn't sound good. Maybe that's the revolution. Cracker, what do you think?

Okay, I'm still on the fence about whether I like Cracker Funk or not, but even I know what he's driving at when he refers to the "Revolution." Is it really that hard for you to grasp, Sweetie? Or do you just like messing with him all the time?

This "Revolution" is supposed to be a cultural, societal, and artistic shift where more people on the lower levels are producing films of their own, some of which may prove (in hindsight) to change the nature of filmmaking for the modern age, maybe they will revise our filmic language, or they may even serve to transform how films are produced, marketed, and distributed. You only need one person out of 1000s who has a unique perspective to be given the chance to share their ideas, and they may have the capability to reshape everything. And Cracker Funk keeps saying that "it's already begun," because it has. It first started when Youtube was launched, after which it expanded when DSLRs became cheaper, as well as when people started making films with their phones, and actually got them into festivals.

We had a similar revolution in style, approach, and acceptability in the medium when people started shooting on VHS camcorders in the 90s, and it became a viable way to make film for film's sake, rather than always having to shoot on the highest quality stuff to tell your story.

Is Cracker Funk really saying that all of these young filmmakers with an interest in the craft and no serious business skills are going to make something of themselves? I sure hope not, because obviously not everyone is going to get noticed or make themselves a visible presence, let alone build a career out of their passion. But the sheer fact that more and more people ARE participating in filmmaking means that an "evolution" of the craft may yet happen, even if not a "revolution," especially with Hollywood bloating itself to the brink of implosion. Sooner or later, a dynamic shift will occur, and I think it is the Independent filmmaker of all shapes and sizes who will indeed be on the side that will work to rebuild the film industry once this eventually happens.

Isn't that all at least plausible?

Last edited:
I'm new here, and probably know less about filmmaking than 99% of the people on this board. I also realize that this a unique time as far as filmmaking goes.

Yeah, at one point vhs was a revolution, but was almost every person in the country carrying one in their pocket every second of every day? I don't think so...

The simple fact is it has never been easier or cheaper to make a film, and I'm sure that trend will continue. That theoretically means skill will shine, not just from those with the financial backing.

It definitely excites me, and I can't wait to see what the future holds.

Revolutions are ugly, dirty, immoral, and they kill people.
If you think they're heroic, get a library card, and read a little.

Maybe your "revolution" of cheap little digital cameras will
make filmmaking available to many more persons, but should they?

Maybe everybody doesn't have Talent, and your movie will stink on ice,
and waste everybody's time.

That is the case with most films made by most filmmakers today.
I've never seen so many pure-dee bad films.
It is just amazing, how bad they are.

Last edited:
Okay, I'm still on the fence about whether I like Cracker Funk or not, but even I know what he's driving at when he refers to the "Revolution." Is it really that hard for you to grasp, Sweetie? Or do you just like messing with him all the time?

This "Revolution" is supposed to be a cultural, societal, and artistic shift where more people on the lower levels are producing films of their own, some of which may prove (in hindsight) to change the nature of filmmaking for the modern age, maybe they will revise our filmic language, or they may even serve to transform how films are produced, marketed, and distributed. You only need one person out of 1000s who has a unique perspective to be given the chance to share their ideas, and they may have the capability to reshape everything. And Cracker Funk keeps saying that "it's already begun," because it has. It first started when Youtube was launched, after which it expanded when DSLRs became cheaper, as well as when people started making films with their phones, and actually got them into festivals.

We had a similar revolution in style, approach, and acceptability in the medium when people started shooting on VHS camcorders in the 90s, and it became a viable way to make film for film's sake, rather than always having to shoot on the highest quality stuff to tell your story.

Is Cracker Funk really saying that all of these young filmmakers with an interest in the craft and no serious business skills are going to make something of themselves? I sure hope not, because obviously not everyone is going to get noticed or make themselves a visible presence, let alone build a career out of their passion. But the sheer fact that more and more people ARE participating in filmmaking means that an "evolution" of the craft may yet happen, even if not a "revolution," especially with Hollywood bloating itself to the brink of implosion. Sooner or later, a dynamic shift will occur, and I think it is the Independent filmmaker of all shapes and sizes who will indeed be on the side that will work to rebuild the film industry once this eventually happens.

Isn't that all at least plausible?

Film-J, my man! You're still on the fence about me? Any time you have to think it over, the answer is yes, you know it! :)

You did a very good job representing a great deal of what I'm talking about in regards to The Revolution. Yes, it's very much a numbers game. The more people who get involved, the more likely it becomes that some of them will break through, in one way or another, be it YT, a career in Hollywood, self-distribution.

It's not like Hollywood holds a lottery, and once a year they choose an indie darling to allow into the cool-kids club. The inclusion of more people in this craft doesn't make it any more difficult for the little guy to succeed. If anything, it makes it easier, because there are more people to collaborate with than ever before.

No, of course I don't think that literally every aspiring filmmaker is going to be "make something of themselves". I don't know when I even figuratively said that. But I will say that as a more diverse group of people begins to throw their hats in the ring, it is inevitable that the stories people will watch are going to change, dramatically.

Some of you think The Revolution has already happened, because DSLRs are totally affordable. Yeah, to you. There are a lot of people who would have a really difficult time saving up enough money to purchase a DSLR. What happens when they realize that they don't need one to become a filmmaker?

A cultural revolution has begun, on a worldwide scale. If you don't recognize this as fact, then you're just not paying attention. I'm not just talking about filmmaking when I reference The Revolution. I'm talking about the world, and the future of it will be largely influenced by the next generation of filmmakers.

I'm new here, and probably know less about filmmaking than 99% of the people on this board. I also realize that this a unique time as far as filmmaking goes.

Yeah, at one point vhs was a revolution, but was almost every person in the country carrying one in their pocket every second of every day? I don't think so...

The simple fact is it has never been easier or cheaper to make a film, and I'm sure that trend will continue. That theoretically means skill will shine, not just from those with the financial backing.

It definitely excites me, and I can't wait to see what the future holds.

YASSSS!!!

I mostly agree with you. I'd only say that VHS wasn't revolutionary because it wasn't affordable for the masses. Only rich kids could have a VHS camcorder. Nowadays, welfare recipients working at Wal-Mart can afford a phone that has a camera far superior to VHS.

The next 10-20 years are going to be very interesting, both in respect to filmmaking and the world in general.

Revolutions are ugly, dirty, immoral, and they kill people.
If you think they're heroic, get a library card, and read a little.

Maybe your "revolution" of cheap little digital cameras will
make filmmaking available to many more persons, but should they?

Maybe everybody doesn't have Talent, and your movie will stink on ice,
and waste everybody's time.

That is the case with most films made by most filmmakers today.
I've never seen so many pure-dee bad films.
It is just amazing, how bad they are.

What?! Why on Earth would any filmmaker object to there being more filmmakers in this world? That's kinda crass. Yes, anyone who wants to be a filmmaker should make it so. How is this even open for debate? :weird:

And please don't insult my level of education. There's no need for that. I'm obviously not talking about a militaristic revolution.

Back