• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

SLOW MOTINO

How do you write something in slow motion? The thing is I have a scene where the fight goes in and out of slow motion and I don't know how to write it. Ive read the Matrix script and I couldn't really find anything helpful and its the only movie I know that has slow motion in it besides 300. If anyone know lets me know thx.

Shooting scripts have your camera angles, etc. Your spec script doesn't have it, unless it is not an effect, i.e. someone moving slow.

I am saying this usually isn't in your spec script. When a script goes into production, scene numbers and camera movements are added. It's like a blueprint for the DP.

With your screenplay, focus on the story. That's why you didn't see it in The Matrix script. If it is something that is dire to the story, like someone that is in a drug haze, and the world is moving in slow motion around them, you can describe that without mentioning the actual camera or post effects.

From A Clockwork Orange:

IN SLOW MOTION
Alex clubs Georgie into water with his stick. Dim swings chain. Alex ducks. Dim goes into water.

Trust me...

oh ok but what if i wanted to write a shooting script?

Nobody wants to read a shooting script from an unknown writer...

Why?

Because you're unknown.

However, if you really think the slow motion would help what you're writing, go ahead and stick it in as a secondary slug like Indie gives the example for.

Just remember... There should be a REASON you want to use slow motion -- not just because it's cool and you've seen it in other movies. If you can tie it into theme, great. If you can tie it into the story somehow. Also great.

filmy

I went to High School with Slow Motino, he used to copy off my papers.

1) You just write the story, the director decides things like that.

2) But what if you are directing? You write a spec script, because you want potential cast to read it. Once you are funded and ready to go, then do the shooting script. By the way, you do realize if you are a first time writer and fisrt time director you are probably funding this film out of your pocket, tight?

3) There is no #3.

- Bill

Last edited:
Back