Panisonic 450

I am looking to buy a camera to start my short here in the next few months. Whqat do you all think of the Panisonic 450?

I need a camera that is less then $400, but still adds a lot of punch. Something that has great sound and image. Also, I need a camera that is easy to hook up into my computer and edit, then take out as digital.

Any ideas?

I think the Panisonic 450 will be okay, but im not sure. Any advice about a camera would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Brian

BrianEllis said:
I am looking to buy a camera to start my short here in the next few months. Whqat do you all think of the Panisonic 450?

I need a camera that is less then $400, but still adds a lot of punch. Something that has great sound and image. Also, I need a camera that is easy to hook up into my computer and edit, then take out as digital.

Any ideas?

I think the Panisonic 450 will be okay, but im not sure. Any advice about a camera would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Brian
You get good sound with a good mic. The 450's on board mic is fine for "home movies" and the kids playing in the park - not for productions.

You get good images from good lighting - not from a camera. A good DP who uses a 20 year old VHS camera will get a better image on tape than a first timer with a $250,000 HD camera.

That said, the 450 is a fine beginner camera. I don't think it has an input for an external microphone which is really going to hurt your sound quality.

Learn about lighting - even outdoors you need to fill shadows and bounce light to get a good image. Indoors is even more difficult.

The great thing about tape is it's cheap to experiment and learn.

Thanks, directorik.

What do you suggest I look into purchasing as far as a camera? I want something not to expensive, yet good to make a good film from.

I don't know what to look for at all, and would appreciate some suggestions. Anything, i'm dying here. Thank you.

For under $400 you won't get a pro camera so it depends on what your idea o a "good film" is. With this budget I would recommend working hard on the script and composition as it will be your best means of attaining a good look.

I'm not sure how much it costs anymore but have you taken a look at the Panasonic PV-GS70? It's the cheapest 3 chip camera I know of and gives good results for its price.

BrianEllis said:
Thanks, directorik.

What do you suggest I look into purchasing as far as a camera? I want something not to expensive, yet good to make a good film from.

I don't know what to look for at all, and would appreciate some suggestions. Anything, i'm dying here. Thank you.
Which camera you use will not determine if your movie is good or not.

As I said in my first post - the quality of sound and image comes from good recording (a good mic, a "clean" environment, a great boom operator and a great recordist) and from good lighting.

These things are learned. And the best way to learn is to get what ever camera you can afford and get out there and shoot, shoot, shoot. Use different lighting techniques, try different kinds of lights, experiment with...

Hell, I'm not even answering your question.

I don't have any practical experience with camera's under $400. I suggest you look for a camera that has audio inputs so you can remove the mic from the camera body and get it close to your actors. Make sure you budget for a mic. Sound is where most beginning movie makes fall short - because a good mic is expensive - but even a $50 - $75 mic on a boom pole will be better than keeping your mic in the camera several yards away for the actors.

Thanks, Shaw and directorik for the advice.

Again, I am new to the film industry, but want to start with a good camera. I can get a $500 - $700 camera from overstock.com in my pricerange, which is awesome.

What do you think about a mini-DV camera? I want something practical, affordable (which, a lot of them are, such as the http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=463669 and http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=822736 and a heck of a lot more, check it out.)

Im not really sure what I should be looking for in a digital mini-dv camera, if I choose to get one, so, if anyone could help me out, I would appreciate it.

Again, I am interested in a mini-dv camera to do some shorts for the next two years, until I start with college. I want a camera that if easy to use, and easy to hook up to the computer so I can get maximum editing done.

So, to conclude, is a mini-dv camera a good choice, and if so, what do you suggest.

Thank you so much everyone, I really do appreciate it. Thanks.

Brian

Thats a great camera, I like it! It may be a bit deep for me right now, but it could be something I can save for in the near future.

Do mini-dv camreas have any disadvantages? I like them since they are digital, and seem easier to use, but I want to make sure that before I buy one, its going to get a lot of bang for the buck.

Are mini-dv cameras easy to hook up to the computer for editing? I guess they would be, or at least easier then a video camera. Anyone have any complaints with a mini-dv camera?

Thanks everyone for the help.

Those JVC's a nice beginner cameras - the only problem being no audio input for an external mic.

I've owned the JVC GY-DV5000 (MiniDV) for 4 years and have shot several features with it. So I'm biased towards the JVC's.

Yeah, I really like what JVC puts out as well, and I have the same feeling towards the external mic outlet. It stinks that it doesn't have one, but is there anyway to substitute for that?

The best value for your money that I've found (also looking for a camera) is Panasonic's PV-GS line. Right now you can get the GS70 for about $600. It's got 3CCD, so you get a better picture than relatively priced 1CCD models (i.e. almost everything else). I've been looking at the 120 and 200 myself, and I can tell you that those two both have all the manual features you need, plus an input for ane external mic. Check prices on those two, 'cause they've been very popular with Indie types looking for a cheaper camera.

Panasonic is also rumoured to be coming out with the PV-GS400, which is a bigger better version of the three they have atm. It'll retail (from what I've heard) around $1500.

But above all, as everyone has already said, sound is more important than picture. You can have an awesome image, but if the audio doesn't carry, it's useless. So make sure you have a good budget for sound... a Beachtek and XLR shotgun mic would be your best bet, but that's obviously the most expensive route you can take, too.

isnt the idea here to get a Camcorder that has 3color chips and is HD like 1024x resolution?

From talking to guys who convert digital to 16 or 35mm film they tell me you have to have a 3 color broadcast camera or the scanlines will look like hell and plus there is no proper way to fix color bleeding.

I think the cheapest 3CCD is like 1800 bucks American.

i have seen some on ebay go for 800 bucks but im not sure i want to purchase something from someone not knowing if its going to work.

plus if you're going to invest in that kind of money you really need to get an extended warrenty. Good Guys in California sell 3Color chip cameras and 5 year warrenties which i would seriouslly reccomend and its like an extra 300 bucks. but the cheapest camera they have was 2100 bucks. Also find one that has 24fps option. most of the new ones have it today.

isnt the idea here to get a Camcorder that has 3color chips and is HD like 1024x resolution?

Well... not quite, Mr Fish.

Mr Ellis also started with a $400 budget, that has increased to $700-ish.

Clearly a full-sized 3CCD with all the bells & whistles would be ideal (toss in some 24p for extra goodness)... but that's not happening within his price parameters. :) The magic is in the story-telling... a good tale (on Hi-8 ) will blow a terrible story (on HD) out the water, any day of the week.

For transfers to 16 & 35... I have no clue... though I would assume you are correct about being better off with an HD-like image to work with. There's a thread on that somewhere; I'll see if I can find it. Was way over my head. :shock:

Brian.. I just found a good deal for you to start out with. its the cheapest 3CCD on the market. its by panasonic and its just under 700 dollars new.

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webap...=PV-GS120&surfModel=PV-GS120&ignoreRedirect=1

click on that link. it has 540 lines of resolution (Center) while the tens of thousands of dollar cameras have 750-800 or more.

thats a nice camera and I think i'll invest in it myself. though it doesnt have 16:9 ratio recording it is still a great deal considering the money you're spending. its also a good camera to start out with. and it was cheaper then the minidv i bought 3 years ago that cost me 900 bucks and is a single chip with only 400 lines.

Zensteve said:

Well... not quite, Mr Fish.

Mr Ellis also started with a $400 budget, that has increased to $700-ish.

Clearly a full-sized 3CCD with all the bells & whistles would be ideal (toss in some 24p for extra goodness)... but that's not happening within his price parameters. :) The magic is in the story-telling... a good tale (on Hi-8 ) will blow a terrible story (on HD) out the water, any day of the week.

For transfers to 16 & 35... I have no clue... though I would assume you are correct about being better off with an HD-like image to work with. There's a thread on that somewhere; I'll see if I can find it. Was way over my head. :shock:

Cool thanks Zen

by the way brian.. that camera does record in 16:9 so thats even a better deal. Though most people today probably never even transfer digi to film because im guessing most festivals project tapes and dvd format so its a good deal none the less.

Back