What sound equipment to get.

I'm so lazy, rather than research this myself I thought I'd go the easy route and ask here.

I know next to nothing about recording live sound 'properly'. What equipment would I need if I wanted a highly portable set up for recording live sound, should I record separate to the tape and sync later, what are boom mics best for, what should I record on to etc. etc.?

Any help appreciated.
Steven

Before I give you any suggestions I'll need to know a couple of things:

1) Does your camcorder have XLR inputs and manual control for audio? If not does it have a mini-jack input for audio?... and if it does, does that also serve as the headphone output?

2) What kind of films do you make (doco or drama)?

3) What kind of budget you have in mind for equipment?

4) Where are the films going to be distributed? (Feature films for general cinema release or short to slam up on Youtube)

Cheers Clive,

1 - the camera I use has two separate mini jacks one for input and one for headphones, It's a Canon XM1. However I am thinking of hiring a HDV camera for my next project.

2 - I make dramas

3 - I could probably afford up to £500 to buy or hire equipment

4 - Films to be distributed any which way I can. Festivals, TV (those community type channels), DVD and also online.

I like my sound to be as good as possibly (because it's hard to watch bad sound, if you know what I mean). Currently I don't use the sound I record live, I just use it as a guide and dub all my dialogue, ambient and sound effects on in post. But it's a pain and a bit of a strain for my actors.

OK

Put the audio into the camcorder... because the sound recording in camcorders is always pretty good... but, also record a back-up to mini disc.

To do this you'll need

1) Microphone - Audio Technics AT897 (it doesn't need phantom power, so that's not going to be a problem)

2) Windshield and Boom Pole

3) Long XLR to XLR cable (20 foot)

4) Beachtek XLR to mini-jack adaptor (a piece of kit specifically designed for prosumer camcorder audio)

6) mini-disc recorder (you can get them for pennies now)

7) a slate

8) a pair of ambient noise suppressing headphones (you want to be able to tell that what you hear is coming through the camera and not bleeding through the cans)

and if you've got any spare cash

9) Beachtek monitor/headphone amplifier

Basically the kit from mic to XLR is standard film recording stuff... the Beachtek adapter allows you to get the sound into your mini-jack input (without loss)... your Beachtek monitor and headphone amplifier gives you a visual reading on levels... and your mini-disc gives you a back up copy in case the mini-jack creates any noise (unlikely but it is the weak link in the chain).

You slate the sound so you can sync the mini-disc sound in post, if you need to.

I've personally used all of this kit, in this way on everything from cheapo Panasonic domestic camcorders, all the way up to the VX9000. And, it all works...

Hope this helps... and feel free to ask around about the kit I've suggested.

Last edited:
I realize that this is an old thread, but I LOVE audio, so forgive me...

You want to make sure that your headphones have a flat response curve. Some headphones are designed to boost the low end or enhance the mids due to the big wave of iPods and MP3 players that compress sound to an unrecognizable mess...

Depending on what you shoot, sometimes a dual boom (two mics held by two different people) is necessary. It's a good idea to have a portable mixer as well. I've found new ones on e-bay for $250 that have three channels, a low cut, and three outputs.

I've actually been looking into these XLR camcorder adapters. Here's a summary of what I've found:
www.beachtek.com - Mounts to camera. Various passive adapters. Some with phantom and audio meter. New unit with preamp (DXA6HD).
www.juicedlink.com - Mounts to camera. All include preamplifier. Options include phantom, 2-4 XLR inputs, audio meter.
www.studio1productions.com - Doesn't mount to camera, and no phantom or preamp option. Option for 3 XLR input. Plastic case.
www.signvideo.com - Mounts to camera. No phantom or preamp option. 1 and 2 XLR input options.

The juicedLink website has an interesting demo video, showing how a preamp can reduce camcorder hiss while recording fine audio detail:
http://www.juicedlink.com/index_fil...ter_audio_mixers_Beachtek_demo_comparison.htm

Back