shotgun mic. plug?

Im looking for a cheep shotgun mic and most/all I have come across have a 3-pin out-put plug. I have a 1/4 inch in-put, and I'm sure I can get an adapter at Radio Shack. My question is....Has anyone had a problem rigging the audio this way? (somtime adapters don't quite work) Or should I keep looking for a mic that comes with a 1/4 inch plug? (if able). Any thoughts????:weird:

I have an XLR (3 pin) to 1/4" adapter (probably from Radio Shack). It works...but I've only used it for LIVE microphone performances so that actual quality was not that important. It also makes for a big, bulky, heavy, connection going in to your input device. A stage amp could handle it -- not sure how a camera would like it.

Best Buy had a $60 shotgun mic with a 1/8" plug. That would be easier to "adapt".

Thanks...I know anything is better than the camera mic. I guess I could go through a mixer?

I have tried the Best Buy mic, but its really bad. Guess I'll keep looking...

You'll want to stay with the XLR plugs for your audio...I'm running into lots of buzz from the lights/power running around the set. I have one of the best buy shotguns. The Audio Technica ATR55 is a nice microphone, but is really succeptible to RF induction. On "Scare Tactics" for this last IT competition, I spent 12 hours scrubbing the buzz out of the audio. Having a balanced (XLR - 3 pin) mic would have prevented that. Radio shack does indeed have adapters at about $15, just looked them up the other day.

I'm not sure that a passive adaptor will give you the full benefit of a balanced rig. The benefit of the balanced microphone comes from differential amplification that is done by comparing the signal between pin 1 and ground and pin 2 and ground. If you simply adapt the 3 wires to 2, you lose the ability to do comparisons and reject common noise. Given the cost of a good mic, I'd buy the powered XLR adaptor that will reject noise, then feed a clean, and optionally amplified signal into the camera through the unbalanced input. As long as the wire from the adaptor to the camera is short, it won't pick up any discernible noise. The people I bought my zoom controller from (SignVideo) sell an inexpensive XLR adaptor, similar to the BeachTek, but significantly less expensive.

Back